HUGE Newbie Mistake. Please HELP

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tooter, Mar 19, 2013.

1. tooter

tooter Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2013
    Tennessee
    so a few weeks ago we bought 12 baby chicks and 2 ducks. it was really cold in our basement and my wife thought that the heat lamp wouldnt keep them warm enough so,...... she puts them all in our jacuzzi tub and we keep them there for a week till the coop was built and weather warmed up. The ducks made a huge mess of it with the pine shaveing and getting water everywhere. Long story short. We have them moved to the coop now for a few weeks and we have clean, scrubed, disinfected, and cleaned again our bathtub and bathroom top to bottom and it still smells so bad like stinky wet chicken feed and wet pine shavings. Its awful. I dont know what to do know. Please help me if anyone has had this awful experience. I cant stand the smell any longer.

2. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Try tossing baking soda all over in there and leave it to sit overnight...then go back in and clean up all the baking soda...it literally absorbs stinky smells and wetness

3. Gypsy Blue

Gypsy Blue Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2013
    Mexico, NY
    Vinegar and baking soda. I can't think of a better disinfectant out there [​IMG]

4. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    And if you have a 250 watt bulb and can get it 2 feet away your basement isn't too cold unless you live underground in Siberia...I moved quite a few chicks outside that were 8 days old, it gets in the 30s at night, but right under the heat light it's 90... The chicks are all doing awesome enjoying the dark part of the brooder

5. tooter

Mar 11, 2013
    Tennessee
    The bad part is I can't figure out where the smell has embedded it's self actually cause the whole bathroom stinks

6. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you checked the drain? Could mess have leaked down the pipes of the Jacuzzi?

7. QuietPony

QuietPony Chillin' With My Peeps

You put them in your jacuzzi tub? [​IMG]
    LOL Spoiled birds! Good luck with all that.

8. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Bleach and water? i have no idea, hopefully none of the bedding got into the jets. Good luck!

9. tooter

Mar 11, 2013
    Tennessee
    We put bleach and water and pinesol in the tub and ran the jets with it filled all the way to the top. We have done it 2 times and then washed everything with bleach. It's awful i tell ya.

10. Drapery Mary

Drapery Mary Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2013
    Try putting baking soda on the drain and washing it down with vinegar. Don't run water in it overnight. It might help if the stink is in your drain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by