HUGE poos no cecals and some blood - help please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lavisy, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Lavisy

Lavisy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2010
    Perth, WA
    We have reciently got 2 more girls to add to our small flock and they are currently in quarenteen in our back room. One is a 6 week old white bantam leghorn and the other is a 8 week mix.

Now the mix is laying absolutly huge poos, not many of them just HUGE, as though she is saving them up and doing all at the same time. They were a bit squelchy but now seem a bit better. After she does the huge poo she then does a smaller one with a bit of effort which has blood in it. They are both acting normally, eating, drinking, moving around, grooming etc except for this. I also havent seem any cecal poos on the paper from either of them.

I asked the lady we got them from what they have been given, and they have been vaccinated and given medicated starter food. They also havent been near birds that havent been wormed. They were in quite croweded conditions so may have been quite stressed and then with the move to ours where its much quieter with lots of space.

Now im a bit worried about the blood, knowing about cocci and all, could the cocci have taken hold with the stress at this age?

I have ordered some medication for cocci so you think I should treat them?

If I do should I keep feeding them medicated feed at the same time?

Thanks for your help!

Lavisy (a worried chick mum)

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The only answer I know is, you can give them the med and continue the medicated feed, as the amount of medication in the feed is very small.

3. Lavisy

Lavisy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2010
    Perth, WA
    Thanks for that, il put the meds in the water when it get here in the mail. Does anyone know why shes doing such massive poos and no cecals?

4. Zoey

Zoey Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2009
    Big Island, Hawaii
    there are over 7 kinds of cocci that affect chickens, only one produces blood in the feces, and that is cecal cocci.. so in a way, there are cecal droppings . if they aren't completely firm, then that is them...the ones with the blood ...

I would treat them for the full time as per package directions. Don't add protein to their diet, as cocci thrives on protein, and the meds won't work.. Just use the chick starter , and no high protein treats, for as long as 1 to 2 weeks after treatment ...

cocci attacks the intestinal wall, preventing the chicken from absorbing nutrients ... it kills fast without treatment ...

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by