Huge round raised sore under vent

Kelley G

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 12, 2017
Just washed her butt and found this. She is 6 years old and due to heat here has not layed in weeks. Eating and drinking fine. Could this be irritation from poopy butt???
PXL_20220807_182843603.jpg

Is she able to pass droppings okay? I would soak her bottom in a shallow warm pan of Epsom salts water once a day for about 15-20 minutes. Then clean off any crusty material, and apply some plain Triple Antibiotic/Neosporin ointment. She might have some vent damage from pecking, a prolapsed vent, or flystrike. Look closely for any maggots. Probiotics can be helpful if she has trouble pooping. Sometimes urates will build up inside the vent and become hard. Cleaning that out may help.

Looks like either a peck wound, or possibly flystrike. I'd check it over really good for possible maggots.
I cleaned it out its round about the size of a quarter and the edges are rough like old skin... I guess I will keep an eye on it. I only have three chickens total now and they all get along pretty well

Is she able to pass droppings okay? I would soak her bottom in a shallow warm pan of Epsom salts water once a day for about 15-20 minutes. Then clean off any crusty material, and apply some plain Triple Antibiotic/Neosporin ointment. She might have some vent damage from pecking, a prolapsed vent, or flystrike. Look closely for any maggots. Probiotics can be helpful if she has trouble pooping. Sometimes urates will build up inside the vent and become hard. Cleaning that out may help.
Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom