HUGE steps - I'm so excited!!!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by LilRalphieRoosmama, Sep 13, 2009.

1. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Wow - what a week this has been and I have to share it with you! After almost 3 years, DBF and I decided to move in together and get married! [​IMG] The only problem is that I have to fix up and sell my house so it probably won't be until at least spring. In the meantime, DD needs to find a full-time job and get a place of her own. She wasn't happy with the news at first but now she's looking forward to being on her own.

Question to you though: if you were looking to buy a house, would a chicken coop in the garage be a positive or a negative? It can easily be removed and I'll see what the realtor suggests, but with the increased interest in raising chickens, I'm hoping it'll be a positive.

So much to do and not enough time in a day [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    I would love a chicken coop in the garage, but I'm guessing most wouldn't. Here's a question you need to ask yourself though, and be very honest..... does it smell funny? Now if you're like me, it doesn't smell to you, but if you were to leave and have the garage closed for a couple of days, when you come home... do you smell it. Be sure to ask friends too.

If it smells at all, I would get it out of there..

Congrats on moving forward!!

3. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    That's a very good point. As with all coops, there is an odor but I keep it really clean. My birds are out in the yard all day and only in the coop to lay and roost.

By the time I put the house on the market, I plan to be moved out so the coop will be cleaned and empty.

4. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    I agree with faykokoWV I'd love it but many wouldn't.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Hmmm...I would have loved to find a house w/an existing coop. It probably depends on 1) does it take up a large part of the garage? 2) are back yard chicken coops big in your area (could it be a selling point?) 3) are people in your area really animal friendly? (is it a space that a rabbit or dog use for shelter easily/comfortably?). If you use a realtor, I'm sure they'll advise you... And congratulations!! [​IMG]

6. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Thanks!!! [​IMG] Yes, the coop area could be used for pretty much any animals. We walled off a section so there's still plenty of room to park and store (oversized garage). There's 3 doors - one to the coop itself, one from the garage out to the yard, and then one into the main part of the garage. This way we can have the main garage door open without any of the birds escaping. It's worked out really well.

I'm zoned agricultural and commercial and most of the neighbors are animal-friendly. I just put up a privacy fence and have never had one complaint from anyone (I have a rooster and ducks too). I've sold chicks to alot of local people which is why I'm thinking it could be a plus. Will definitely go with what the realtor thinks though. Just wanted to throw it out there and get opinions.

7. want2bchicknmom

want2bchicknmom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2009
    Southwest
    Congratulations!!

I just wanted to add that I chose the rental I am moving to at the end of the month because it had a coop-the coop is outside though. I had to do a lot of work to the inside (including scraping grease off cabinets with a putty knife) [​IMG] but it was worth it to me for the coop. Just depends on your buyer I guess.

Good luck selling!! I wish I could sell mine so I could buy instead of rent the one I'm moving to.

8. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

I'm not a realtor, but I've worked in the real estate/mortgage industry for over twenty years. Between that, and being an avid HGTV watcher, here's my two-cents-worth:

One of the most important things to keep in mind when marketing a home is that you need to appeal to the widest possible number of potential buyers. While many of the folks on BYC would LOVE to buy your home with the garage coop, you need to appeal to non-chicken owners, too. I'd remove the coop before putting your home on the market. It's a buyer's market, right now, so you need to be able to compete with the best of your competition.

Also, before you move ALL your stuff out of the house, consult a GOOD realtor (not just your hairdresser's cousin - somebody with real experience selling homes IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD). Some homes show better with a minimal amount of furniture in place. It helps to define the space, and make it look like a home, rather than just an empty house.

Just for what it's worth.

Edited because my brain works faster than my fingers . . .

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  9. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Quote:Ditto... I agree....

10. hikerchick

hikerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    I can't get past the part about DD having to get a job and move out. Mine would never forgive me if I did that to her (one of many reasons why I will never remarry.)

Congrats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by