HUGE swelling on breast of chicken!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tulie13, May 5, 2009.

1. tulie13

tulie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    NW Florida
    Help! I have no idea what this is - it's like a big bubble, like the size of a GOLF BALL, and the chicken is only 2 months old, nowhere near fully grown. It seems hot and somewhat soft, like an abcess of some sort. Should I do something? Try to cut it open? HELP!!! [​IMG]

2. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Don't do anything yet. It's probably just a full crop, which is very normal and should go down on its own. However, if the cluck is acting weird - in distress, not active, not eating or drinking or pooping, it may be something else. Does the chick seem normal except for the big lump?

3. crazy huhn

crazy huhn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    It is probably just the crop.
    It is supposed to look and feel like that. However, if you have any concerns, check back on her early in the morning or seperate her from the flock without any food and it should go down overnight.

4. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    its probably just from Eating too much.. lol.. its completely normal.

5. tulie13

Feb 12, 2009
    NW Florida
    But it seems to be on one side of her chest, but it can sort of move/squish around... is that normal?

6. EricShane

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    Quote:yes thats normal.. thats where a chickens stomach is.. lol dont play with it!

7. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Yes, that's the crop, located on right side of chest and depending on what and how much they eat and drink it can be quite full.

We once had a hen whose crop would be so full by the end of the day it was hanging down between her front legs and when she ran it would sway back and forth and she looked like she was on "Baywatch" so we named her Pammy after Pamela Lee Anderson. [​IMG]

8. tulie13

Feb 12, 2009
    NW Florida
    LOL - I don't think this hen would qualify for Baywatch, but we massaged it lightly and downward, and then checked on her a bit later - it seemed to be smaller. I think she's going to be OK.

Thanks for alleviating my panic, guys. As you can tell, these are my first chickens!! [​IMG]

9. EricShane

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    Quote:lol.. its completely normal I promise! alot of people get alarmed about that! when I got my babies my mom thought they all had tumors or something too.. haha!

10. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

We should design a one-sided training bra for those pullets! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by