huge wound on hen...she may be about to die...help please..ASAP!

oliviad51

Songster
10 Years
Jul 23, 2009
North Carolina
We just got back from a trip to the intracoastal waterway for a week. We have had someone taking care of our chickens but she must not have noticed this hurt one. She if one of my favorite hens. im not sure how she got hurt. It could have been a racoon, possum or who knows what. Its a HUGE wound aboveher leg. It is pretty deep..all the way down to her flesh. There are maggots in it! She can barely stand up. We put solarcaine on it and closed her in an area where she can't get any more flies on he. We also washed it out and we are about to put peroxide on it. Is there ANYTHING else you know of that we can do? We are DESPARATE at this point...please, please help...thanks a lot.

Olivia

Do not put solarcaine on it. Caine products can be fatal to birds. Clean that out now. The wound and all maggots must be cleaned out of there, pack with plain antibiotic ointment and keep her separated from the others. I would not use peroxide, maybe just a mild saline flush. Peroxide is not for deep wounds.

If you have antibiotics you should give them to her. After the leg is cleaned and treated with the neosporin you can wrap it with gauze from your first aide kit
and cover with either the stretchy vet wrap or masking tape to keep the gauze there. Hope things get better for you.

So sorry to hear this! I don't know what advice to give you other than to keep researching, keep the wound clean, and call a vet first thing in the morning. At least maybe a bump will help!!!

Best of luck!

hugs.gif
fl.gif
hugs.gif
fl.gif

If you can get your hands on some colloidal silver, irrigate the wound with it. If you know how to give subcutaneous injections, I'd inject it too. In the absence of having CS, keep the wound clean and neosporin ointment. The maggots look gross but they eat dead flesh, not live flesh. They are actually beneficial.

If you are not familiar with colloidal silver, google it. Its really easy to make with a little generator; simple science class stuff. Hope she recovers soon...

WOW... I used it (tea tree oil) straight for about a month in a deep wound. Hen healed and had a long life after. Used on others on smaller wounds for shorter periods with success. What exactly does Tea tree oil do to them that is harmful? Always glad for new info.
dmb

Back
Top Bottom