Huge wound on neck, what now?

wonderpup

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 3, 2011
NW Florida
So it's about 2am here and I had to get up and let the dog out to potty. Standing on the back porch I notice that one of the girls is on top of her coop rather than IN her coop. My husband is the one who took care of the birds this evening and he fed, watered, and locked them in for the night. Apparently he somehow missed one. Anyway I let the dogs do their thing and put then away and then went to retrieve Lacey off the top of the coop. That would be when I saw what I thought was a big hole in her neck. OMG! I picked her up and took her inside where I could get a better look in the light. It's not a hole. It's looks like something tried to rip her head right off and wasn't successful. The skin is pulled back right down the muscle I think on the back of her beck. It looks like muscle. I could probably put at least a quarter in the wound. I am a total newbie these are my first chickens and they are 7 months old. I took her out into my garage where I have a big tub with a hose and cleaned the wound with warm water. It had a lot of dirt in it but is not at all bloody. There looks like there is a darker area that maybe is a scab in the middle of her neck? I didn't want to mess tooooo much with it b/c I wasn't really certain what to do in the first place and I am a bit on the queasy side tonight and was afraid I'd throw up or pass out. I sprayed a spritz of colloidal silver spray that I have and use on doggie cuts and scraps on the wound and then put an antibiotic ointment on it making sure to get it all inside and under where the skin had been ripped away. I don't know what else to do. This is probably out of my league so I guess I will be calling around trying to find a vet who will treat a chicken. I don't know of any off the top of my head.
sad.png
I put her in a dog kennel with some clean towels and food and water. She started eating right away so I guess that's a good sign? This just looks sooooooooo awful. Is she headed for the big chicken coop in the sky? I am amazed that she allowed me to handle her. She isn't the friendliest of my birds, she's the one who doesn't generally let you pick her up. She was a good girl for this though even though she tried to peck me when I moved her to the dog kennel. I'm pretty worried about her, and am hoping some amazing expert here will have some advice. Obviously I'll try to find and get her to a vet as well. I had planned to give her away b/c we don't need as many as we have but I didn't plan on her getting eaten or anything. I feel so bad.
sad.png

you did the right thing i have seen much worse and they lived though it. it sounds like she is doing good, can you put her where the others can see her but not bother her. cause they will pick at the wound, but if she is separated the whole time they will pick on her cause she wont be a part of the flock anymore
the vet would not happen with me $35 for a visit plus treatment costs.

Thanks guys. I haven't been able to find a vet that won't charge me an arm and a leg and my first born for treatment here which is annoying
hmm.png
I found a vet on the list at the top of the page but they are two hours away
sad.png
I just can't do that with on my own with a toddler in tow. I guess I'll just keep at it here at home. I've worked at a vet clinic but never on birds and have worked on injuries in the field so to speak with sporting dogs. Hopefully she'll be ok. I've never even had a pet bird. I'm terrified of parrots - yeah what a weanie I am lol

She looks perky this morning. What should I give her for extra protein though? I could scramble an egg I guess. Is there a preferable source of protein for a chicken? I'll see what I can do about having her where the other birds can see her during the day. I don't know how I can accomplish that at night and still keep her locked safely away. Will it make a big difference if she can't be next to them at night? She is kind of the dominate chicken so to speak in the flock. I was afraid she was a rooster for the longest time b/c she was so pushy but then she layed an egg right in front of me. Ugh, leave it to my crazy life to throw budget busting car drama AND an injured chicken at me in the same month
hmm.png

I'm not real experienced either, but I think you're doing just fine. One of mine was in that condition last winter. I think the others were picking on her. I treated her just the way you are doing, and moved her into a dog crate in the basement until the weather warmed up. Gradually got her back in the coop and she's still not Ms. Popularity with the others, but she's holding her own now. I gave her any kind of protein I had left over from meals...a little ham, an egg, a bit of roast beef and cat food...someone here said it was high in protein. Anyhow, I feel for you and your little girl. Hope she does better.

She seems to be feeling even better tonight. She is back to her 'ol don't touch me self. I haven't been able to clean her neck this evening b/c I'm having a devil of a time getting her out of the dog crate.
hmm.png
She hogged out on a scrambled egg and then she went ahead and laid and egg so I suppose that is a good sign as well. Hoping the return of her feisty nature will mean she is going to heal up and be OK. Sure wish she wouldn't be quite so feisty and knock off the pecking at me when I try and get her out.

Back
Top Bottom