Huge!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by KelsiNS, Sep 20, 2013.

1. KelsiNS

KelsiNS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2013
    Buna, TX
    Out of my 41 chickens, i have a dozen "barred rocks". Im not sold on the idea that they are rocks.

Even less so the older they get. Half have lemon yellow legs, the others are a pale pink. Half have bold, defined, uniform barring-others look like barring was an afterthought. And now, half of them (at 8 weeks old) are almost as big as my 17 week old blacl aussie mix. The rest are still petite.

They all have hatchery straight combs (wavy, some have crooked points, some have extra points to the sides).

So....what breeds can i narrow them to.
    Defined barring
    Mottled barring
    Yellow leg
    Pink leg
    XXL
    Medium[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dandrews1971

dandrews1971 Chillin' With My Peeps

Where did you get them? They look like my BSL boy did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. KelsiNS

Jun 24, 2013
    Buna, TX
    MPC. They are wonderful birds, im just confused as to why such a large difference in them?

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    fuzzy barring + pink/white leg could be a Cuckoo Marans, the hatchery ones are almost always clean legged.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think that they might be Cuckoo Marans. Cuckoo Marans have pinkish-white legs, like yours.

6. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Is there any pattern to the cuckoo vs. barred, yellow vs. white legs? Such as, the cuckoo ones all have white legs while the barred all have yellow legs?
    If so, then you have Barred Rocks (yellow legs and defined barring) and Cuckoo Marans (pink legs and cuckoo, not barred).

Barred Rocks with pink legs would be a DQ for show.

7. KelsiNS

Jun 24, 2013
    Buna, TX
    The smaller, bold barring have yellow legs. Most of my larger ones are more scattered with pink legs. I have one barely barred with yellow, and one large defined with pink.

How on earth did i possibly get marans in an assortment order? I thought that never happened :/

8. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    What assortment did you order, rare breeds, brown egg layers? Marans would fit into.both of those categories :)

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Sure sounds like you have Cuckoo Marans and BRs then, the hatchery CMs are also usually bigger than the BRs. Most hatcheries have had the cuckoos for awhile, I have gotten them in assortments from McMurray.

10. KelsiNS

Jun 24, 2013
    Buna, TX
    I got the brown egg assortment, but they did not list marans as an included breed.
    With the breeds i ordered abd a possible set of marans, im looking forward to a colorful egg basket when they grow up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by