Hugely Swollen Eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Uncluckable, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Uncluckable

Uncluckable Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2012
    The right eye of our beloved Silver Sebright started swelling up a couple weeks ago, with some discharge (though not a ton). I know odor can be useful in diagnosing such things, but haven't noticed it being particularly foul-smelling (though maybe I should try sniffing it more closely?). We tried to wash it out and spray it every day with antibacterial eye spray. It seemed like it was getting better, and the swelling went down, but over the last few days it's gotten worse and worse. Can anyone tell from the pictures what might likely be going on? I feel so bad for poor Porkchop, and don't want her to suffer or die if there's anything we can do.

She seems perfectly sprightly, and has no real trouble eating, drinking, roosting, etc. as far as I can tell. I've naturally tried to research other posts and on the internet in general, but most symptoms described or portrayed seem to not quite correspond with hers (though I'm likely just misinterpreting, I recognize -- I'm not much of a chicken expert yet, I fear). Some of the feathers on her back are kind of harder and crunchier, maybe due to discharge that gets wiped on it or trouble preening or something?

I should also mention that a couple months ago the same exact thing happened to our Silver Phoenix hen, and she ultimately died, presumably as a result (We thought it was just a freak occurrence, maybe an injury or something stuck in the eye or an unfortunate infection...). So we've tried to take extra care with this one, but she's not getting any better. Her little Sebright friend would be very lonely without her. None of the other chickens are displaying any eye symptoms whatsoever.

If anyone can advise we'd certainly be grateful!

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    open it and gently push out the white cheesy looking lump(S) its there trust me. than gently wash the eye a few times a day

3. Uncluckable

May 9, 2012
    Thanks! I've tried to gently squeeze stuff out of it before, but I was scared to push too hard. I will get another pair of hands and be more aggressive. Any tips on the best technique for accomplishing this? Do I push the lumps out by squeezing inward from outside the eye, or do I need to actually stick my finger or something else in the eye itself and root them out? And is there any way to make the procedure less unpleasant for the poor chicken?

I really appreciate the advice. I take it your chickens have experienced this? Any idea what it's called/what's causing it?

James

4. AnimalsComeFirst

AnimalsComeFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
  5. Uncluckable

May 9, 2012
    Thanks. We've been successful in getting cheesy stuff out several times, and will continue to try to wash and purge and disinfect the eye. Sadly, the swelling doesn't seem to have gone down at all yet. And poor Porkchop can't be comfortable (though she's still acting reasonably sprightly, considering).

She's also got a couple of mangy looking spots on her back, where there aren't feathers and they even look like they might be open wounds. Though she didn't act like they were sensitive when I put antibiotic cream on them...

6. AnimalsComeFirst

AnimalsComeFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    Keep cleaning it everyday. If it gets worse, post again on here and we'll help out!

7. ramirezframing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    it prob from where she tucks her head in to sleep at night and the bad eye is weeping onto her feathers. take a warm wash cloth and wash it off so flys dont lay eggs on her

8. ramirezframing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep

9. Uncluckable

May 9, 2012
    Thanks for the further info!

I think you're totally right Ramirez, about the crusty goo on her back, and it did wash right off.

I'm also encouraged by your success story. And we did start routinely squeezing the cheesy stuff out of her eye. Then a couple days ago when we went to do it, we saw that it seemed to have scabbed over. So we were reluctant to break the scab to squeeze anything out. We thought maybe the scab was a good sign, and that it was beginning to recover. But it has grown even larger since then, unfortunately.

I assume we should probably continue the squeezing treatment, in spite of the scabbing? She really hates having her swollen eye squeezed (understandably), but we want to do what's best for her.

[​IMG]

10. Fox

Fox Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    This looks like it needs antibiotics to me. I'm no expert, but I'd use Penicillin I think for it. It looks infected and not just wounded... especially since the swelling seems worse. I think I would use antibiotics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by