Huh? Son can hear Chicks in eggs from another room?!

McCord6

Away
10 Years
Sep 9, 2009
Lake Butler (Union County)
My kids just got home from pre-school and I found my boy with a bad report (he has a daily report from the teacher) so I sent him to his room as punishment.

This does start to sound a little off topic but lets get to the point.

He came up to me and said "Mama, I hear something" (he is the only one in the family that is NOT deaf but has a PERFECT hearing). I told him that it's fine and go back to his room. He did go back but only for like 5 minutes then came back to me and said "mama, I hear cheep cheep cheep"

That FREAKED me out! I ran to the bator and the eggs are not moving, not piping or zipping or anything (they are due this weekend). I just decided to leave it alone. But he did not! He came up to me again and yelled "MAMA!!!!!! I hear CHEEP CHEEP CHEEP!"
Now this fusterates me! His bedroom is right next to the diningroom, ofc he can hear them if they are hatching but they are not showing signs of hatching at all!
I candled a few and they are moving around but all is good.

Are chicks really that LOUD while still in the eggs or does my son have SUPERSONIC hearing?

Last edited:
yes. they are that loud. and because he was not focusing on anything else, he probably zeroed in on it.

just wait until they are OUT of the shells.

and by the way, you're a good mom. nipping things in the bud and taking care of biz. rock on. you're building a good man there. we need those. the things he does now are the habits he will do for the rest of his life. i bow to you, Mom! nice work! (and yes, that is WORK.)

I never hear chicks peeping from the egg unless I have the bator open, and then only sometimes. But I'm not 4 years old either
smile.png

I just got my new hearing aids a few weeks ago but never really gave them a try out. I just did today and I think Im going to CRY!!!!! I heard them!!! I locked the 3 kids in the livingroom for just a minute to have as much quiet time as I can get. I put one up to the microphone of my hearing aids and listened hard. I hard them!!!
hit.gif
That was the best thing I have ever heard so far! I could never heard any of that with my old aids.
clap.gif
celebrate.gif

Even as I held an egg in my hand, I felt the egg moving. Kinda feels like when you first feel a baby kick in the womb. It's a great feeling!

bun.gif

i'm sassy when i have the flu!
big_smile.png

seriously, you should here goslings in the shell. it's outrageous, the noise they make. you can be on the other side of the house and hear them. it's crazy!!! you'll be looking around for where the noise is coming from!

You should tell your son he did a good job! Sometimes chicks can hatch early so make sure your humidity is up. Also, if they peep for 24 hours with no pipping, it may be time to be concerned.

I agree. I spoke to my friend next door who is a chick freak (sorry guys she won't go on BYC, she doesn't believe in the internet). She is coming over after feeding her flock their dinner to check them out. She says she has a feeling these "babies" are going to pop early. She is coming to candle them and see if I should go ahead and put them on lock down tonight or not. She said you can't really tell their due date when getting them from another person and due to the fact that the guy I got them from had them sitting for 6 days before we got them, there is high chance they will come earlier then expected.

Back
Top Bottom