Huh?? What now? UPDATE all's well! :)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ebonykawai, Apr 21, 2008.

1. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't get it. Last night was my chicks' first night in the coop. They are 3 1/2 weeks old. They have 6 inches of bedding and a heater. It got down to 54 in the coop, but was over 80 under the heater. They didn't sleep under the heater. WHY??? Instead, they huddled in a corner by the pop door, which had very little shavings and was cold.

WHY DIDN'T THEY SLEEP UNDER THE HEATER??? And what should I do now??? They seem fine this morning, but they should be freezing. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    THey don't know where the heat is.

3. ebonykawai

I had them under the heat when I first put them out. Should I corral them somehow? What should I do?

4. ebonykawai

I brought them back in until I can get some answers or ideas.

5. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    is there food and water close to the heat,thats what i did with my little ones after they went into the coop.there kinda incirceled by the food and water.they can hop over there feeders to move further out if they want to.

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Maybe keep them in a large box or crate (something like you used for your brooder) during the night and let them out during the day. If you felt like it, you could even section them off by building a few more walls in the coop. I'm thinking that I might have to coral my chicks somehow too. I just went out and checked on mine and they did the same thing. [​IMG] (This was night number two for me also.) I think I am going to use my brooder at night in the coop. I don't dare ask my DH to build anything else for awhile! [​IMG] He probably would if I asked him, but I don't want to ruin any chance of adding to my flock this Wednesday!

I guess our chicks are just babies after all and we as the parents, need to give them guidance! [​IMG]

7. ebonykawai

Yes, the food and water are right next to the heat. They just stayed by the door, as if they wanted to go out. It's really frustrating. I might just put them out during the day and bring them in at night, unless other thoughts or ideas get posted here. I'm really at a loss. [​IMG]

8. ebonykawai

Gump, that's a good idea. I can easily section that corner off with some plywood. The feeder is hanging right next to it, and I have a small waterer I can put in there. I hope they stay in it for the night. They are big into jumping and flying. [​IMG]

I have them warming up inside. They seem absolutely fine and happy. They went under the heater for a few minutes, but that was about it. Some people say they are fragile, but they seem awfully tough to me!

9. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    We put a cardboard corral in the coop to keep our wanderers under the light. I am about to take it down now tho...ours are into jumping and flying too...there are one or two that keep flying over the cardboard (Even tho it's way taller than their brooder walls were) and ending up in the space of the coop that's not corralled in. They freak out when they do that because suddenly they're alone! I do have a feeder and waterer out of the corral just in case, but they can't really get to the light from outside the corral.

10. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:I agree! I think they are a lot like our children. There are few people who give them credit for what they can really do and we as parents just sit and freak out because of the guidelines!

About the flying. Mine like to do that to. You will probably have to put something over the top of the plywood to keep them in. Chicken wire or net would be a good solution. I used the net over the brooder and it kept them in just fine. Just make sure that you secure the net if you go that route or they will pull it down. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by