Huh?!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by 3LilChicks707, Jan 19, 2017.

1. 3LilChicks707

3LilChicks707 New Egg

Jan 19, 2017
    What on earth is a Hatch-a-Long? It sounds like loads of fun & we've been thinking about buying an incubator & trying to hatch some of our own babies, but we'd be total & complete novices at that!

2. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    Hello and welcome to BYC :frow

A Hatch-A-Long is basically when a group of people who are setting eggs at similar times basically come together and update how the incubating/hatching is going, aswell as giving each other advise and support as they go along. You can join in at anytime- just say 'hello', say what you are incubating and when they are due to hatch. Some Hatch-A-Longs even have competitions with prizes to win. It's a lot of fun! :)

The current hatch-a-longs are:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1147081/2017-groundhog-day-hatch-a-long
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1145617/january-2017-hatch-a-long
    (Although there are others throughout the year such as: 'Easter Hatch A Long', 'Febuary Hatch A Long', etc).

I hope this helps,
    Charlotte :)

3. 3LilChicks707

3LilChicks707 New Egg

Jan 19, 2017
    Hi Charlotte!
    It helps a ton! Hatching that way sound like big time fun! Plus, you have the support of your fellow hatchers just in case you need it! [​IMG]Erika

Question: what incubator do you guys recommend for a complete newbie?

4. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    brinseas are great but very pricey, you could also build your own
    hovabators have good reviews, make sure you calibrate, that is the #1 egg killer as far as i am concerned

5. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    How many chicks are you wanting to hatch? Brinseas, are a bit more expensive when compared to other incubators, but you really do get what you pay for. Compared to polystyrene incubators, the plastic ones are a LOT more easy to disinfect between hatches and a lot less complicated. I would also recommend RCOM 10 pro incubators- this was my first incubator and as a newbie it is very easy to use (plus it's quite a lot cheaper than Brinseas!). Ive had 90-100% hatches in mine.

6. PapaBear4

PapaBear4 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2014
    Maryland
    Hatching your own eggs is SO MUCH FUN! If you have kids it can be very educational as well. I think we might do the Easter Hatch-a-long. If you're hesitating about buying an incubator, another option is renting one from somebody like HatchTheChicken.com. It can save you a fair bit of cash and show you the ropes if it's your first time.

PapaBear
    http://www.nocluckingaround.com

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by