Huh?!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by EweSheep, Dec 22, 2011.

1. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Take a look at this link: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/122/372/425/?z00m=20156032

I
    can not imagine someone would have one sided view...throw away the roo carcass after pulling feathers out?!

I think the farm probably did process the roos after butchering....I can not find anything true about it without seeing the other side of the story.

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:What do they think they are eating at KFC?! [​IMG]

At least the feathers are being used, and I assume the meat would be used as well. I would be more upset if they pulled the feathers out before killing them. [​IMG]

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I assume they use the meat but probably not the way the article reads. My DD does feather extentions in human hair its all the rage right now but she either uses synthetic or when my rooster was molting I collected feather for her. The other day my silkie roo lost a few fleeing from the bigger rooster so I collected those for her. BTW Blue was ok just lost a couple of feathers. I had to put Penguin up for a little bit to teach him not to chase Blue. I/m thinking maybe I need to downsize on the roosters. Anyone want a silkie or Polish rooster?

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    They don't survive after having their tail feathers ripped out???? How are they doing that, cutting off the entire back end of the bird? And the answer - maybe so. Yeah, I don't like what I read there either but then you have to realize that may not be the whole story after all.

Odd that they wouldn't just harvest some then let them grow back in and harvest more. Surely that would be more cost effective than wasting entire birds. Who knows though in this crazy world.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:That's a good point. I have pulled bad feathers out of the tail on my polish roo. Didn't affect him at all. I know it would be painful to pull them out all at once, but death? [​IMG]

6. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Actually at takes 40 to 60 weeks for the feathers to be ready for harvest. The roosters are killed (gassed I think) then then skinned with the feathers intact. The saddle feathers are the "prime feathers" not the tails. The feathers are often sold as pelts ~ skin intact. The carcasses are then composted. They can't be used as food due to USDA regulations and at 1 year old would be too tough for "grocery store customers". The method of harvesting may also render the meat unusable. This has been going on for well over 100 years and the feathers are mainly used for tying flies for fishing ~ that was before the fashion industry found them.

http://news.discovery.com/human/rooster-feathers-fashion-110914.html

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    It would be a terrible waste of meat when it can be used for soups and chicken noodle soups like the egg factory farms do with their "expired" hens.

Molting would be a good thing to save feathers AND the bird. Sure it takes more time to grow it out.

So they just end the roos lives by growing them out and they are only, what, six to eight months old? Yeah, it would be cheaper. Well, it can not be any worse than the hatchery cock chicks going into the meat grinder...

It would be benefical if the farm can have Hispanic or people needing food, standing in line, waiting for freshly butchered old roos! Now that would be a good thing!

8. galanie

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:That was one red light that made me wonder about the article. I *thought* they used the cape and saddle, not the tails at all. And yes, they skin them starting from just behind the comb to get the best feathers there and then the saddle. I wondered if all the talk about tail feathers meant what I learned before was wrong. Good to see it's not.

Oh and the hatchery cock chicks often just get thrown, live, into the dumpster too. Talk about waste, The meat grinder would be much better. Many people feed this type of thing to their dogs and cats, guts and all.

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yep! And the cats and dogs love it LOL!

10. galanie

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    LOL yes they do! And since my son and his wife feed their cats this way, I'd always have a use for any bird that I didnt' want to eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by