Human Affected by Chickens-Stye (Not for the faint of heart)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FlockEweFarm, Aug 18, 2008.

1. FlockEweFarm

FlockEweFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Flagstaff,AZ
    Ok, this is going to gross out some, but here goes; When I work around my chooks, cleaning the coop, the nest boxes or even gathering the eggs, anything that kicks up the dust and dander from the straw and the poo, I have a tendency to get styes on my eyes.
    I thought I had managed to defeat the stye monster this time around by maintaining good standards, keeping my hands away from my face until clean, not rubbing my eyes, and avoiding getting my face down into the dust, but I had noticed that I was feeling cruddy and that my left eye constantly felt like I had a hair in it or something, and tonight I happend to roll my eyelid down and I have a whopper of a stye under my lower eyelid! It is the size of a pencil eraser, and actually is visible as a lump from the outside! I am going to drain it as soon as I get my nerve up here in just a little bit, and that usually takes care of the issue, but what the heck is going on? Does anyone else get these? Is it the straw, the chickens? or something in the Arizona dirt? I have never gotten one so interior in the eyelid before either, usually they are around the base of an eyelash, but this one is actually under the lid! It was great for grossing out the kids, but now that I know its there, It is driving me buggy!
    I have been doing my own medical and dental care for years, so I have a good medical kit and know about using sterile technique, so dont stress that part, I was and emt and an er tech for 11 years, and worst case scenario I was also a Forensic Tech.!LOL

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    i have never gotten any. or even heard of getting it.. But i make sure i dont get my face around the dirt from chickens because.. i just really dont feel like having it near my face lol. and i have made it a habit that whenever my hands are dirty. i dont touch my face at all. if i need to scratch, i use my arm or something.

-Daniel

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  3. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Jen, there comes a time in all of our lives when we have to admit we can't handle everything. I think you had better bite the bullet and see a doctor.

Rufus

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I hear stye's come and go and are often re occurring unless removed surgically. Something about how the same pore or tissue is susceptible.

5. PAChickenChick

PAChickenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    I am sooooooo not making fun...so don't take this the wrong way...but when I read your title the first thing that came to mind was what my Mother had always told me....

If you have a stye in your eye get some of your urine in an eye dropper and put it on the stye a few times....the next day it should be gone.

NOW......BEFORE anyone ::gulp:: tries this....
    I've never had a stye so I have no clue if this works or not, I was just thinking it because my Mom said it so much...lol.

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    When I read the title I was hoping to see a pic. [​IMG] Sorry.

I am thinking you may need to visit a doctor. You should get preservative free eye drops that come in single vial doses for your eye and use those on a regular bases. That could help a lot. Refresh sells good ones. I have had eye problems (nasty corneal scratches) and its no fun. Good luck. You may need anti biotic drops or prednisone drops. which you would have to get from the doc.

7. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    My hubby sometimes gets styes and we don't even have chickens yet. Thus far the military doctors haven't done much for him.

8. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

You may want to wear clear goggles while messing with the chickens and until you change the clothes, so the dust has less chance of getting in your eyes. I'm sure you know this, My mom always nagged me so I guess I have to nag you about it.... [​IMG] When I had eye surgery I had to wear them for weeks to keep anything from getting in my eyes - nice fashion statement.

9. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:My opinion exactly... You wouldn't want to get a huge infection that could damage your vision... Just a thought...

10. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

My husband had a stye that kept coming back for several months...guess what the culprit was? Grapefruit juice. On his last trip he was drinking it every day with his breakfast and apparently the acid was affecting him. Normally, he only drinks that stuff once in a blue moon so I guess it was too much for his system. He saw one of the military docs and that was the conclusion.
    You will need a prescription med to get rid of that thing. Ugh.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by