human boob incubator

TweeTea

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 11, 2012
Canberra, Australia
Hi, I had a broody chook whose first egg collection was accidentally removed and she continued sitting on eggs as they were laid over a 7 day period (we marked the eggs at that point and removed any extras) This resulted in 4 eggs total. 1 egg hatched and she continued sitting on the others for another 3 days then left the nest. I now have 2 eggs nestled under my bra in the hopes that I can let them finish developing.

I have never incubated eggs before but read HEAPS in the last 36 hours including 3 threads on human incubation, 1- attempt to incubate from day 1 was abandoned early but the egg was developing, 2- attempt resulted in failure (not sure of the duration), 3- someone finishing incubation of 2 duck eggs that were abandoned at the end like mine and they hatched without a hitch.

I have candled my eggs and they have a largish air cell (about an inch or a bit more in diameter I think) and otherwise opaque which I understand could mean they are due to hatch any day, could be rotten, or may have humidity issues. My light was not terribly bright and the eggs are thick shelled and brown which doesn't help. So I am not holding out much hope for success but needed to at least try.

So I am not sure if all will go without a hitch, if my eggs are decaying (one was and I seperated easily based on the smell, the other 2 smelt fine).

Anyone have any advice that might help the process? Should I go jogging to up the humidity between my breasts lol. How quickly does an egg start to smell if a developing chick dies?

I slept ok last night, but expect my temperature drops as I sleep. I read the old posts on here from 2 previous attempts, hoping to be more successful as I only have to finish that last day or two. Fingers crossed :)

Yes please let us know how it goes! I've always had thoughts about hatching eggs like this but never said anything in fear of being called crazy lol very interested! :D

I float tested the eggs about 6 hours ago and they floated low (supposedly a good sign) but I was worried about low humidity (it has been pretty hot here only 2 degrees below incubation temp outside in the shade today). I was also unsure of the exact day they were first laid beside my broody hen and rolled under her (that's a whole other story featuring a nasty rooster spur puncture).

I have listened intently for any type of sound coming from the egg (nothing) so I eventually decided 30 min ago to make a small hole in the air sac side of the egg to see if I had a shrink wrapped chick inside. Both eggs had begun to develop under the hen but had obviously failed a good 10-14 days ago. So it has been an interesting intensive learning on all things incubation.

If the same thing happened again (hen leaves the eggs after the first ones hatch) I would still do it again, I think as far as an emergency incubator goes it's not too bad, 1-2 deg below optimal temp (I measured with my thermometer lol) reasonably humid. No way I would try and do it from day 1 though though!

I've always thought this approach was hilarious and interesting, but I personally would be very worried about bacteria and sweat affecting the eggs. Sweat is very high in acidity, and contains unhealthy stuff like urea and whatever medicines you are taking. Maybe wrapping the egg in a cloth would be more effective.... hrm....

yea I was worried about the bacteria side of things too. I was hoping that they were far enough developed to just need the last few hours to maybe a day. I hadn't thought of the acidity. I figure most of the humidity they get under my broody is just body sweat, but her body chemistry would be vastly different to mine.

I guess my end result is - don't let fear of being attacked by my rooster stop me noticing my hen has gone broody, and don't collect the neat pile of eggs that all started incubation on the same day lol

Back
Top Bottom