1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Human Theives?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jnr005, Jun 3, 2016.

1. jnr005

jnr005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2016
    So I have a family friend in Michigan that had 3 prize hens taken last night. (2 polish and another type). Preditor proof pen, not feathers, nothing...gone. Only option left seems to be human.

So, anyone else have this happen? What are some good measures to keep your chickens safe if you want to raise sought after breeds?

2. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    Padlock

3. spoikey

spoikey Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2012
    I live in northern Michigan and had the same thing happen. They took one chicken at a time till they got the rooster. They stopped after that. I figured they were starting their own flock. Wish I could have figured where they lived. I would have taken an officer there with me to get my chickens back. They would come running when I called them. They wouldn't come when anyone else called them even though they were very friendly.

4. MommaDanielleW

MommaDanielleW New Egg

Jun 4, 2016
    Calhan, Colorado
    Oh wow....I'm sorry to hear this happened. People actually steal chickens? (I'm VERY new to this so sorry if I seem rude.)

5. jnr005

Feb 10, 2016
    Wow. Yeah, she lives in Ingham County. I realize people steal dogs and other pets too, but it's like how low do you have to be to open someone's coop and steal their chickens?!

6. Kasilofchrisn

Kasilofchrisn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2016
    Kenai peninsula Alaska
    Sorry to hear this.
    I detest thieves.
    A motion activated game camera is a good way to catch thrives like this.
    If you know some deer hunters ask if they have one they can loan you.
    Hide it where it faces the coop door to hopefully get a pic of the them.
    Where the birds banded?
    I'm thinking of doing that to mine for I.d. purposes if they get away from me sometime in the future.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

7. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    S.S.S. just kidding.

I did have this happen to me some time ago. They stole Cornish crosses and just so happened to steal them at butchering size. I strongly suspected a neighbor or someone who knew I had them and the age.

At the time I had two coops one for the layers and one for the meat birds. I put padlocks on the doors and a latch on the inside of the pop doors. Never lost another bird to a human after that.

LOW LIFES.

8. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Chillin' With My Peeps

Just posted on another thread that I can't stand thieves. Had someone steel the sprinkler of the end of my hose once. They came back for the hose, but must have been spooked off because it was almost undone. Sorry for your friend's loss. [​IMG]

9. spoikey

spoikey Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2012
    Mine were stolen in broad daylight.

10. jnr005

Feb 10, 2016
    Wow...now that is ballsy. I can't help but wonder about these people that steal chickens. I mean I guess I can see them stealing them to eat bc then the evidence is gone, but if they steal them to breed and its a special chicken, don't they think someone might notice? It just seems crazy, lol. It's sad when you have to padlock your chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by