Human use of Diatomaceous Earth

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by NateinFL, Nov 24, 2009.

1. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    Hey guys I had a question, I picked up some Stall Dry at the feed store, and I have read that it is good for people to take a teaspoon a day of food grade DE. Would this be considered food grade? Its certainly not the pool filter kind. And nowhere on the bag does it say not for human consumption (However the bag of dog bones I bought said that, can you believe it?). Well anyone who may have tried this please give me your advice. Thanks, Nathan.

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Never heard of that. I know we used to use it to keep mites out of reptile bedding. Don't think I'd want to eat it.

3. NateinFL

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    No I read that its good for your system and I really do want to try it at least, I just want to hear from somebody else first that they tried it and are still alive to tell about it [​IMG]

ETA: That they have tried the Stall Dry version of it.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  4. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Not me it has clay in it which contains lead!

5. kcravey

kcravey Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2009
    East Texas
    Why do you want to eat it? From what I understand, its in our processed foods to keep the bugs out....

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I have heard on occasions that some folks will mix some with some water and it helps with a number of things, but I am still skeptical. I love this DE stuff works miracles on the farm, I get it all over me sometimes but whatever you do don't get any in your eyes.

AL

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Stall Dry contains clay along with DE, it's meant for scattering on barn floors/stalls/coops to help with dampness and smell, no way that goes into a humans system! [​IMG]

8. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    I heard the same thing (OP) although I have never tried it. Food grade DE from what I have been told is just crushed oyster shell/shell flour.

9. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Quote:Stall Dry does NOT equal Food Grade DE. If it is food grade DE, it will say so...

10. NateinFL

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    Great, thank you for clearing that up for me [​IMG] I did read that it had clay in it that's why I asked. I'll be getting food grade soon. For those of you that ask, it has lots of medical benefits and I've been feeling kind of blah lately. Just want to see what it does for me. I'll let ya'll know!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by