Human use of diatomaceous earth

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by oldchickenlady, Jul 9, 2010.

1. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Well, I received my 50 lb sack of DE yesterday. I went to the grocery store and bought a bunch of yogurt and different things I could mix it into. I took 1 TBSP in a cup of yogurt today and will continue to see if any of the 'testamonials' made on the website I ordered it from have any truth to them. I have several minor issues that should show improvement if this stuff works like the website claims it does. I have generalized pain and stiffness, no energy, borderline high blood pressure, and a few more (wont bore everyone) issues that I hope will improve. I also plan to feed it to my horses for feed through fly control as well as parasite control. Since worms are getting resistant to worming medications, I truly hope at least that part is true. Right now I take flax seed oil and fish oil capsules every day because my chiropractor said that fish oil is a natural anti-inflammatory. I do know that it works because I ran out after taking it for months and I didn't go immediately and get more. Within 2 weeks my pain and stiffness was much worse! I hadn't really noticed when I wasn't hurting as bad, but I sure as heck noticed when it came back! Anyway, I will post how this stuff works (or doesn't, as the case may be). I figured even if it doesn't help me, I can still use it for bug control, putting in the chickens coop and dust baths, etc. I was suprised how finely ground the powder is. I put some in a plastic jug to keep in the cabinet and it looked so much like flour I labeled the jar so I wouldn't get confused. But, it also got me to thinking...could you put some in food that you cook? Like corn bread? Meat loaf? Spaghetti sauce? Would it work that way? I may have to contact the company and see what they say. Wish me luck!

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Honestly, it doesnt taste bad...lol,

I put a tbsp in about 4 oz of water and chug it. Not even gritty. [​IMG]

3. oldchickenlady

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I couldnt taste it at all, the yogurt just had a slightly different consistancy. If I hadn't been actively looking for something different about the yogurt, I probably wouldn't even have noticed.

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    could you put some in food that you cook?

It doesn't matter what you put it in , since the results will be exactly the same​

5. oldchickenlady

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Yesterday (day 2 of my DE consumption trial) I noticed I did feel a little more 'energy' a couple of hours after eating my morning yogurt. That was one of the things mentioned in the testamonials, so we'll see. I made some cornbread last night and put about 2 Tbsps in, not much I know, but just trying to see what happens. I did send an email to the company but probably wont hear back from them until next week. Will keep updates coming as I progress with the experiment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by