Human vitamins to cure sickness?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by little_giant, Apr 21, 2011.

1. little_giant

little_giant Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    My chicken has many mites on it that wont go away. It seems to be getting weaker and act more sick. I sprayed some pyrethrin spray but the mites come back even after i sprayed the chicken and the coop. I am planning to give the chicken- human vitamins (childrens chewey vitamins) that are crushed and put in the water since I have no medicine for the chicken. Will that help? and how many?
    Thank you!

2. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    No it wont work for mites but may help healthwise. Put kerosene on the roosts and dust with a garden dust like Sevin.

3. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    The only vitamin I would give is Poly Vi Sol WITHOUT iron. It is a liquid baby vitamin. You can get the generic at any Wal Mart or CVS or other pharmacy. Give your sick chicken 2 or 3 drops each morning and night until she is feeling better. It is important to use a dropper and drop the vitamins on the chickens beak so it rolls into her mouth so she can swallow it and not inhale it and get it into her lungs.

More important is getting rid of the mites because it sounds like they are killing her. Where does she 'live'? In a coop, in the house?

Where ever it is it has to be cleaned out really really well and as soon as possible. Take everything out including the waterers and feeders and shovel out all the litter making sure you get all the litter out of the laying boxes. Open all windows and doors and sweep everything from the ceiling to the floor to remove dust and cobwebs. Make sure you wear a mask to protect your lungs from the dust. Sprinkle Sevin dust along the floor where it meets the walls, sprinkle it onto all roosts and especially the nesting boxes. Sprinkle the dust on or into every crack or crevice. If you want you can mix the Sevin dust with water and using a pump sprayer you can soak the walls and floors and everything else. Let it dry thoroughly.

Next is to add clean litter and after a good scrubbing refill the waterer and feeder and put them back in the coop.

To treat your hen go to the feed store and get Ivermectin pour on. It usually says it is for cattle. On the back of the hens neck spread out the feathers so you can see the skin. Put 3 drops on the skin if the chicken is a bantam and 4 if the chicken is a heavy breed. Make sure the ivermectin gets onto the skin and not the feathers. If it goes on the feathers it will not do her any good. Ivermectin will kill lice and mites pretty quickly. Reapply again in 10 days to kill any critters that have hatched. Ivermectin only kills live bugs and not eggs.

Start to build up her strength right away. She is probably anemic because the mites feed on blood. Give her her normal feed but include protein like cottage cheese, scrambled egg and leftover meat chopped small. Greens like frozen spinach help a lot or let her free range for a few hours. One block of frozen spinach should last a few days and doesn't cost much. I just thaw it. You don't have to cook it.

If she is really in bad shape you can give her a bath using Adams flea and tick shampoo or another similar product. Make sure you follow the directions on the label. It's been my experience that just before you give her the bath wet her neck and add a few drops of shampoo and try to get it to lather because as soon as you put her in the bath the mites are going to make a run for it and that's where they are heading. Right to the top of her head.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by