1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Human way to cull

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lacrystol, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I have never culled a chicken, but apparently I have a silkie with Marek's disease. I can't cull her but my husband is willing. What is the best way to put this chicken out of all her suffering? I have already got the advice from a chicken doctor and we have tried everything to improve her progress and nothing worked. She is at the point now where she's just suffering, she is flopping around with absolutely no use or control of her legs. She's bleeding from her vent and I just can't see her suffer any longer. She's been sick for about 3 weeks and during this time she has just gotten worst and worst.. So I have come to the decision which i really didn't want to make but decided is was time... So i'm wonder what's the best way?

2. Davian

Davian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Vermont, USA
    A very sharp knife, a killing cone (its a cone that holds her head in place when she's upside down for safe easy cuts) and slice the neck both sides. She'll lose consciousness very quickly.

A sharp hatchet works too.

Dont try wringing her neck unless you know what you're doing though...that can get messy.

If you want to pay, your Vet can do it the same way they euthanize dogs/cats...pretty peaceful that way.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  3. silkielover5

silkielover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    we use a gun

4. Davian

Sep 8, 2010
    Vermont, USA
    Yeah, if you're handy with a firearm, they work very well.

When I was growing up, we used to put them in an old milk crate and use a .22.

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Meat cleaver or other sharp heavy tool and decapitate. Instant death although the animal may move some after the deed, common sense tells you it is impossible for the animal to sense or feel anything at all. I'm sorry you have to do this.[​IMG]

6. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Quote:thought about the gun but we don't want it to get messy because I'm afraid the disease could get in the yard and infect the rest of my chickens, i don't know a whole lot about this disease but I have read it's very contagious. We plan on burn the body once it's over..

7. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Quote:Slicing the head off, will there be a lot of blood? I want very little mess because of the safety of my other chickens.

8. Davian

Sep 8, 2010
    Vermont, USA
    Quote:thought about the gun but we don't want it to get messy because I'm afraid the disease could get in the yard and infect the rest of my chickens, i don't know a whole lot about this disease but I have read it's very contagious. We plan on burn the body once it's over..

Speaking of which, are your other birds vaccinated? Even if they are though, I'd highly recommend a major decontamination of your coop area (there are a bunch of threads via the search tool for how to do it).

Mareks is very nasty.

9. Davian

Sep 8, 2010
    Vermont, USA
    Quote:Slicing the head off, will there be a lot of blood? I want very little mess because of the safety of my other chickens.

Yes, it will be messy. It should be done as far away from the other birds as possible...definitely not within sight of them as it will freak them out and you dont want that blood to get near them.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  10. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    I had to cull one and used a 410 shotgun with bird shot to the head. It worked well and was quick. the tough part was they will flop around for 10 or 15 seconds due to nerves. What method did your vet recommend you use to cull?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by