humane euthanasia

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dee Dee 2, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Dee Dee 2

Dee Dee 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2012
    Tomball, Tx.
    I have a young Buff Roo that is ill. Have tried everythig to help him. I don't think he is going to "make it". We are both miserable. If I have to put him down are there any suggestions as to how to do it. There is NO WAY I can break his neck. I had an Aunt that raised parakeets and if she had to cull one she would put it at the exaust pipe of her car and let carbon monixide put them to sleep. Has any one ever done this with a chicken ? Suggestions PLEASE !

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Perhaps you have a neighbor that wouldn't mind putting it under the axe. It's a sure method that's humanely quick. There is nervous system movement after to fore warn you but without the head an animal is instantly passed on.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    That’s a hard situation to be in. There is no easy way when you consider them a pet, but if they are suffering with no hope, in my opinion it is the right thing to do. I had to do that to a cat that had been run over. Certainly not pleasant.

To me, humane means that they don’t suffer. A hatchet and chopping block, the different methods of using a killing cone, or breaking the neck are humane as long as they are swift and sure. When the spinal cord is cut you will see a lot of involuntary movement but there is no suffering.

Part of that is that you have to be able to do it without flinching. If you can’t carry through with whatever method you use you are at risk of hurting yourself or just injuring the animal instead of being swift and sure. It might be better to get someone else who can to do it for you, both for you and the animal.

I have not used that car exhaust method. There are some old threads on here about it but I haven’t seen them for years. You can do an internet search and get some instructions of how to do it.

4. Speckledfarmer

Speckledfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    Wausau, WI
    I took mine to an avian vet . They gave her an intramuscular shot of barbiturates.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by