Humane or fast ways to šŸ”ŖšŸ„ baby chicks?

IMO two minuets is too much time to suffer oxygen deprivation before death. It's much faster and humane to simply use a very sharp knife, and slice the head from the body on a hard surface, like cutting a vegetable. It takes only a second, and since the brain is disconnected from the body it cannot think of pain.

However, if you simply cannot do this best to take to the vet. Then you can get more of an idea how bad the injuries are, and the vet. can euthanize if necessary.

In my experience, with chicks and chickens, the injury always looks worse than what it really is, and chickens are very resilient, unless of course, the injury is into the cavity of the body.

I've also heard that helium is good for knocking out birds not being used for human consumption. Similar to the CO2 method, but you use helium instead. You can find the canisters of helium where they usually sell balloons.

Helium tricks the brain into thinking it's oxygen, so the bird just falls asleep. No suffering :)

IMO two minuets is too much time to suffer oxygen deprivation before death. It's much faster and humane to simply use a very sharp knife, and slice the head from the body on a hard surface, like cutting a vegetable. It takes only a second, and since the brain is disconnected from the body it cannot think of pain.

However, if you simply cannot do this best to take to the vet. Then you can get more of an idea how bad the injuries are, and the vet. can euthanize if necessary.

In my experience, with chicks and chickens, the injury always looks worse than what is really is, and chickens are very resilient, unless of course, the injury is into the cavity of the body.
I edited my post and removed the two minutes, its supposedly painless. I agree with everything you say (except for taking it to a vet) but of all the methods I have searched for, it is the most "hands off" way to end a chick.

Back
Top Bottom