1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Humane Society to stop shipping of Baby Chicks (Look out Hatcheries)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gypsygirl1421, Jan 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gypsygirl1421

gypsygirl1421 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Albany, NY
    Today, the Humane Society of the United States sent its change agenda for animals to President Obama. They list several reccomendations for the president to make, including:

98) Shipment of animals – prohibit shipping through the mail of live reptiles, baby chicks and other birds for the pet trade, agriculture or sport.

1) Humane poultry slaughter – apply law to cover poultry so that 9 billion birds per year (95% of all farm animals slaughtered for food in the U.S.) get basic protection from cruel and abusive treatment in their final moments; guide industry transition to Controlled Atmosphere Killing methods that, when done using a proper mix of gases, provide a more humane end, and yield higher productivity (e.g., fewer broken bones as animals aren’t struggling) and fewer workplace injuries for the staff.

26) Hunting on National Wildlife Refuges – do not open any new public lands for hunting

These are just some of the changes organization reccomends. I hope all of our favorite hatcheries are on their feet and prepared to battle if it looks like it might come to pass!

2. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    OH NO WHERE ARE MY BABIES GONNA COME FROM NOW thats just blasfemy (sp) lol i cant believe this

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I dont think that that will pass. [​IMG]

4. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    No say isnt so
    What is going on?
    this certainly cant pass.

5. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    After hearing all the stories of people recieving dead chicks, and driveby mail delivery people, I can understand where the Humane society is coming from. Not to mention watching the videos on how hatcheries work, from sorting the chicks to searing thier little beaks on a hot plate... (ugh)

Tho I have recieved my chicks in the mail, I have to admit that I hope some aspects of the proposed bill is accepted, If not the entirety.

They are pretty callous with those babies in the name of production and profit....

6. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    don't just hope, take action! write your hatcheries to let them know what's going on, write your political representatives. too many times when it comes to animals I hear "I hope such'n'such bill doesn't get passed, i don't think it will, too many people will oppose it" well guess what? most of them people are just sitting around "hoping" and hope doesn't compete with big bucks. They've been trying to get bans like this done for years, each year they would succeed in chipping away a little at a time......I better stop before I get on a real rant

7. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Better be sending leters to your reps folks or we are all gonna be out of a readily available source for chicks! [​IMG]

8. farmergal

farmergal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Oy... if the Humane Society really wanted to do something about chicks dying in shipment, maybe they could mention to Obama that the USPS has a tendency to drop-kick boxes/leave them outside for prolonged periods/slam them in doors/not ship them on time... other than that, they really ought to brush up on their chicken biology, because if the chicks are packaged properly (and shipped gently by the USPS) it's really not a big deal for them.

9. andehens

andehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Scenic Sierra Nevadas
    more do-gooding, yippie kiyayyyyyyyy

10. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    I agree that it's not the hatchery they should be looking at, they should make the USPS take better care of the packages.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by