1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Humanity Disgusts Me

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by paramedic07, May 20, 2011.

1. paramedic07

paramedic07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Bergman, AR
    I Posted On A Post About What Some Hatcheries Do With Their Extra Chicks. To See A Reference To Grinding Uplive Chicks Or Burning Them Alive Is Just Disgusting. I'm A Paramedic Of Over 8 Years On The Streets And That Bothers Me. Just Because They're Cockerels. Humanity Is So Darn Wasteful.

They Could Be Given Out To Or Sold To The Government Or People Growing Them Out For The Government Or People Growing Them Out For Need Based Programs To Grow Them Out And Give Them Time To Live And Then Be Humanely Turned Into Dinner For Those In Need. Think Of The Number Of People That Could Be Feed In This Country That Way.

Then You Think Of The All The Grocery Stores From Walmart To The Corner Neighborhood Grocery Store That Throw Away Food From All Over The Store From Milk To Procduce To The Deli. All That Could Be Frozen Or Prserved Somehow And Given To Need Based Programs. Nope, It All Gets Thrown Away.

Humanity Digusts Me Too Darn Often.

2. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    I know of no hatchery in the U.S. that does that they usually gas the roosters and throw them away.

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    You'd think hatcheries would caponize the cockerels and offer them as an alternative source of food.

4. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    I think they would if it were profitable. I used to buy them for 25 cents raise them to 5 months and sell them in the Asian markets but high feed cost stopped that. a few years ago.

5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Very true. Hatcheries don't want to throw money away any more than the rest of us. If people would buy them, they would happily sell them.

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Yep..i agree! [​IMG]

7. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    If I could get away with it, I would grow them out and feed them to my family. I would be more than happy to pay a quarter a piece for them. As a divorced mom of two teens with a single income, no child support, etc. Yeah, I would be thrilled to do that. I just don't know how to talk them into a fair (low) price. a week 'til payday and only $49 in the account, yeah - I would love to do that.

8. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Quote:Our Walmart I work at actually does donate the meat and deli meat that has expired
    or is about to to the Animal Sanctuary to feed the bears and big cats.

9. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:Our Walmart I work at actually does donate the meat and deli meat that has expired

Walmart also has the Feed America program. Unfortunately many of the store managers do not force the department managers to participate because it requires more work. All they have to do is freeze and document meat which is getting close to the "sell by" date. It is then donated to participating charities.

10. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama

i wonder if the hatcheries could kill the chicks and donate them to preserves and sanctuaries to feed carnivorous animals?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by