1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

humdity crisis

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by flchickenman, Nov 6, 2008.

1. flchickenman

flchickenman New Egg

Nov 6, 2008
    Dunnellon FL
    Tried my first batch of eggs total failure.have had alot of advise on temp and humidity levels. Have been told temp @ 100 -humidity @ 45 to 50 for 18 days 60 to 65 last 3 days. the problem is I used a electronic thermometer /humidity unit. should I use a hygrometer? and from what I can figure out. the readings on the hygrometer should read 80 to 85 why such a differance between the two?

Thanks
    N borzek

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    [​IMG]

Like you said everyone tells yah different ways !! Read this and see if it helps any...... https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-DryIncubation.html

Sorry
    it didnt work out, Dont give up try again !! Is it a still air bator ??

I use a regular hum gauge from walmart, But I also keep mine at 30%-35% the first 18 days.

3. flchickenman

flchickenman New Egg

Nov 6, 2008
    Dunnellon FL
    thanks for reply. bator was still air. just ordered fan kit for it. what differences should I look for
    Thanks
    N Borzek

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Well, still air the temp should be 100-102. with a fan you should be good at 100ish !! Also will get better air flow, and no hot/cold spots !! I would look at your hum next hatch and try to keep down lower. Did you read the info on that site??

What day did you keep the eggs in the bator till ??

Did you crack them open to see when the made it till ??

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I think you might have it confused with a wet bulb thermometer. Those should read about 85 degrees, I believe. Did you callibrate your thermo/hygrometer?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by