Humdity question please help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SilkieChickenLover336, Mar 20, 2011.

1. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    How many times a week do you add water and how much to get 35% humidty?

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Depends on your incubator. Mine will run at 35% with very little water added and will stay that way for a long time.

3. juelz1380

juelz1380 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    i usually get the thinner sponges, like the ones from the dollar store... wet it and ring it so its not dripping... then when its time for lockdown, i use a better sponge, thicker like ocelo and dont ring it as much to get the humidity over 65%

happy hatching![​IMG] [​IMG]

4. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    i dont like using sponges. how many teaspoons or table spoons do i have to put i have a hova-bator model # 1582

5. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    My home made bator is huge & the fan constantly moves the air. I need to add 1 or 2 large cups of water almost daily to keep at 40%

6. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I borrowed a friends Hovabator and had a very difficult time trying to keep the humidity until the friend told me to put books over the viewing windows and that helped a lot.

7. nurseshelly

nurseshelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Gilbert AZ
    Quote:Hi,
    I have a Hovabator 1583R. It has a plastic tray that comes with the incubator. You fill the middle square and channel to get about 40% humidity (it depends on how much humidity is in your air already, I get between 45 and 50% with the center full). If you want less, just tape over part of the square so less surface area is exposed and it should bring it down. I had to look online before I set mine up because the instructions it came with were really poor! They didn't even indicate what the plastic tray was for, or mention putting it in, or anything about the vent plugs - LOL! Here are the better instructions which tell you which parts of the tray to fill during incubation and also for lockdown. It's by the company that makes the hova bator, so maybe it is just that mine has sat in the garage in the unopened box for a few years, and now they have better instructions!

https://www.gqfmfg.com/pdf/circ%20instructions.pdf

Michele

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by