Humidair Drum-type incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Stefrobrts, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Stefrobrts

Stefrobrts Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    I just picked up this (very heavy) old incubator. I have no idea anything about it. The owner siad it was a Humidair Drum-type, and it was expensive when it was new. He was getting out of chickens.

It looks like it is all there. Needs some work. It's my winter project. I'd be happy if I could figure out how to have it hatching eggs before winter is out for spring chicks.

[​IMG]

2. ga_goat

ga_goat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    I have saw 1 other like it , tried to buy it , the man that had it would not sell even tho he hadn't used it for 10 years , it was 220 volt and would hold near 500 eggs as I remember .

3. Stefrobrts

Stefrobrts Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    This one has had the power cord cut off (looks like it was outside the shed and someone mowed over it) so I don't know if it was 110v or 220. Once I get rid of the wasps that are living in the control box, I'll get a closer look at the fuses.

4. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    I tried to get that.

If you want to get rid of it I'll buy it off of you (unless you need something that big). I have the hatcher that matches.

5. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Quote:I have one or at least it looks to be the same. Mine is a Humidaire Model 50 drum incubator. I found it at a flea market. I got it for very low price. I haven't used it yet but I have plugged it in and the auto-turner and heater coils work. I still haven't found a manual for it yet though. [​IMG]
    I have been told they hatch waterfowl eggs extremely well....Hopefully I will get to use it this spring.

ETA- Mine is 120 volts

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  6. ultasol

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    I purchased what was supposed to be an incubator, but got there and it was a hatcher. I drove a long way to get it, so I purchased it anyway... but no autoturn. I have a sportsman, but I'd rather have a humidaire for the space/ super stable humidity. While I can hatch ducks and chickens in the sportsman to my heart's content, the geese (well, the dewlaps anyhow) seem to be another issue entirely.

7. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Quote:I also can hatch ducks and chickens in my Sportsman and Dickey, but I agree geese are another matter entirely...I had terrible terrible, did I mention TERRIBLE hatch rate on my geese eggs !! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] . I hope to get the Humidaire running by Jan and see if their is a difference in hatching geese eggs...If not!!!
    I give up on incubating them...guess I will let geese hatch them.

8. ultasol

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    I've done some trouble shooting since last year. Hopefully I will have better hatch rates regardless this year. This year from two geese and one gander (dewlap toulouse) I got one, ONE live gosling- that said I think only one goose was laying, but she laid two clutches. Fertility was present, and some would internally pip, but most wouldnt make it out of the shell. Of those that did all but one had hydroencephaly due to incubation and died.

GAH!!! You have any idea how much dewlaps eat?[​IMG] That said, they are simply the most wonderful geese [​IMG] and by far my favorite waterfowl, period. No contest, hands down, the best waterfowl.
    [​IMG]

I did have some buff americans and sebastopol hatch, but not hatch 'well'. The year prior the same pair of buff american hatched out a clutch of their own eggs and only one egg quit. I had a lot of goose dinner from the extra ganders last winter (which were delicious) and showed their progeny this past spring. No longer have the Buffs, as I prefer the Dewlaps and Sebbies and you end up with culls/extra ganders no matter what goose you raise.

If you have any ideas on converting a hatcher to a self-turning bator, let me know. I will have to get some pictures of the hatcher.

I looked for a long time before finding ANYTHING humidaire within driving distance.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  9. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Your Dewlaps are beautiful ! I have a reverse trio of the Buff Dewlaps. They are beautiful birds.

10. ultasol

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    Thank you. The grays came from another BYC member who bought them from Holderread then realized she wasn't ready for them yet. The Buffs came from Diamond Waterfowl,.. although the buff gander originally was purchased from Holderreads as an adult.

One of the gray females is particularly nice in my opinion. Nice square shape, dewlap as large as the males, and straight keel.

I am showing some this fall, but boy,.. that many hours with poopy geese in the back of the car/station wagon is not the most fragrant experience in the world. Not to mention, there is no 'easy' way to transport the dewlaps, crates that fit them have to be large, and the size alone makes them unwieldy.

Have you had much success incubating the Dewlaps?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by