humidair incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by muddipuppy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. muddipuppy

muddipuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Mountain View, CA
    i just got my hands on a humidair incubator. does anyone have one of these?

2. ChicknJ

ChicknJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Central Florida
    there are several of us on here with Humidaires, what model did you get? Do a BYC search and you will find some great info. Congrats, I love mine.

3. muddipuppy

Jul 22, 2009
    Mountain View, CA
    From looking around I think I have model 20 or 21. Two turning trays and a hatcher.

4. muddipuppy

Jul 22, 2009
    Mountain View, CA
    more poking around. mine is a model 20. i have 18 serama eggs coming this week. i had two bum hatches with a hovabator. i hope this turns things around for me! the thing that drives me nuts is the hygrometer. i've bought 3. digital, the circular one, one for cigars. they all read differently! grr...

5. ChicknJ

ChicknJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Central Florida
    here is the most recent threead. Rustyswoman bought a model 21 I believe, ( I could have that wrong) any way, a few people have them, like I said, I really love mine. Turn it on, let it run several hours before you make any adjustments. The humidaire people knew way more about incubating than I do, so once I got my bator at 99.5 degrees, I left it alone, Kept the water wells full, added an extra bowl with water in the hatcher when hatching and my success rate was too high after 2 hatches to keep using it. Ran outta room for chicks.

ohh, I put 13 serama eggs in and took out 12 babies, thought that was a darn good hatch rate

Did you get a seperate hatcher with it as well?

ooops, edited to add the thread I directed you to [​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=274079

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  6. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

You should probably "calibrate" your hygrometer(s). [​IMG]

There are MANY threads here at BYC that discuss this procedure. [​IMG]

Good Luck!
    -Junkmanme- [​IMG]

7. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    I have a model 21 hatcher and a model 50 drum incubator that I am in the process of getting going...making room for the drum to be set up and have parts on order for the hatcher.

I would try to get your Humidaire set up and running as soon as is prudent so that you can troubleshoot it...mine wouldn't stabilize so I have new switches and wafers on order for it, since those have never been changed. There is a guy up in Minnesota that deals these parts at Sunny Creek Farms, don't have his number handy just now, but best to get it going and make sure everything is status quo before you go getting eggs lined up for it. I had to pull mine back out of the hatcher when I realized the temperature couldn't stabilize on its own after I set those eggs. You would be well advised to order the manual for this machine if yours didn't come with it and a set of backup wafers, just in case...especially important if yours was stored in a cold storage shed like mine was. And I would double-check your thermometer on it too, because mine is off-kilter...checked it against a Brinsea Spot Check, which is supposed to be one of the best. I am not worrying about that thermometer right now though because I have several others at hand. The Spot Check is a great tool though and I honestly feel a serious hobbyist hatching eggs should not be without one...my first hatch yesterday of 6 eggs was at 100% success, so there's the proof in the pudding. If yours has only ever been in a house, you might only have to turn it on, add distilled water, and fine tune the temp.

I don't want anyone new to this discussion to get the notion that these machines are troublesome, they do in fact have a great reputation and I have had a lot of old timers recommend them...my two have been used very little and have been sitting in a shed most of their lives, so it stands to reason that we're going to have to adjust them. They're in fantastic shape but the stickers on them tell the operator not to store them under 40 F, and unfortunately that happened.

8. hickerso

hickerso New Egg

Feb 12, 2012
    Hello,

Do you still have your Model 21? If so, would you be willing to sell it?

Thanks

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by