Humidity advice please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sonya 101, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Sonya 101

Sonya 101 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2013
    Australia
    The humidity in my incubator spiked up to 80% for days 9 and 10 of the incubation period (80% for two days ) it is now running stable at 50% after buying a Hygrometer and making the necessary adjustments. I had a number of eggs in my large incubator and after candling noticed that a lot were not fertile. To save running a large incubator with only a small number of eggs I transferred them into a smaller incubator that I had never used before this. I then noticed the clear window was getting quite a lot of condensation and became worried about the Humidity and so brought the Hygrometer which I should have done in the first place. This is my first time hatching eggs so it is all a learning experience.
    So after my explanation here, my big question is can this 2 day spike be a problem for the eggs.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    No I don't think it should be too much of a problem as long as you have got it back down. Humidity is an average over the entire incubation period. As long as your eggs have lost enough weight and moisture and the air sac has grown enough they should be ok. Your right too it's all a learning curve even the most experienced hatchers still have things to learn. Wishing you the very best of luck with eggs.:jumpy

3. Sonya 101

Sonya 101 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2013
    Australia
    Thank you for your reply Yorkshire coop, this is a big load of my mind, I'll keep my fingers crossed now and hope for the best [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by