1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

humidity again

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenboy1993, Mar 27, 2009.

1. chickenboy1993

chickenboy1993 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    dayton, Virginia
    in the book Raising chickens it says to have humidy up to 60% for the first 18 days doesnt that drown them?

2. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Miss Prissy told me 40 - 45% for the first 18 days, and that's good enough for me. [​IMG]

3. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    High Springs, FL
    I don't even think about 60% until hatching time.....
    Mine for 1-18 usually runs about 40-45% [​IMG]

4. Bammony

Bammony Red-dress-less

Aug 15, 2008
    Salina, Utah
    I can't seem to get mine over 45. Last year I kept the humidity at 70% the entire time and I hatched hundreds of birds. So far this year.....haven't hatched a dang thing. [​IMG]

5. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Bam', did you have much luck with shipped eggs or where they locally produced?

Your altitude is approaching mine, so I'm interested in what you did.

BTW, I LOVE Price, UT! [​IMG] Really neat terrain you've got, there!

6. jonty

jonty Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2008
    Voßfeld Germany
    40 to 45% for the first 18 days then 60% for the rest of time.

7. Bammony

Bammony Red-dress-less

Aug 15, 2008
    Salina, Utah
    Quote:Great luck with shipped eggs and even better with my own. We tried the recommended humidity levels but got poor hatch rates and sticky chicks in my sportsman. We decided before throwing in the towel to try to bump it up to see what would happen, and it worked great for us! I'm using a homemade cabinet bator that my husband built a few years ago and am not having any luck at all with the lower humidity level. I was reading the post on ventilation early and will try to play with that some. I miss my Sportsman. It was SO much easier!

Price does have some great qualities to it. I haven't been around the desert and mountains near Price much, but I plan to this year. [​IMG]

8. BeardedChick

Thanks Bammony - I am going to try to get my hatcher running around 70% with increased ventilation and see what happens.

BTW were you trying to subliminally tell me "buy a Sportsman", cause that's what I thought I heard? [​IMG]

I am hoping to get over to Moab to play this year. Even staring at the pretty rocks there is quite satisfying.

9. Bammony

Bammony Red-dress-less

Aug 15, 2008
    Salina, Utah
    Quote:Hahaha! I LOVE Moab! I love hiking and riding bikes on the trails! The red rocks are just amazing down there! I'd love to go fishing down there!

Yes, I was hinting that you need a Sportsman! Everyone does! I gave my Sportsman 1502 to Buster thinking I was gonna be getting a new one this spring, but I haven't yet. He is enjoying it and I am just waiting for the funds to get a new one. Mean while I get to enjoy my homemade bator, that i had also given to Buster but he generously let me use it till I buy my new sportsman. Keep in touch with me and let me know how you're hatch goes with the higher humidity and increased ventilation.

10. BeardedChick

That's it, we need a Girlz Moab Hikin', Bikin', Fishin', 'n Chicken Trade weekend. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Let me know if you get another great hatch system going.

I'll post back sometime about how this staggered hatch goes. I have some shipped chicken and duck eggs, and some of the neighbor's chicken eggs.

Someone offered to loan me a Sportsman, but I know better. I'd bury myself alive in a peeping mountain of fuzzy happiness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by