humidity all over the place * UPDATE POST # 8

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mstricer, Feb 2, 2011.

1. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Okay so I'm having an issue with my humidity, It goes for 59% when adding water to 16% by the time I get home from work or wake up an suggestion?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  2. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

What type of bator do you have, and what type of hygrometer do you have?

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Humidity is controlled by surface area. Volume of water does not matter, except that with a deep container with the same surface area, you don't run out of water as quickly.

What type of incubator you have would help with specific suggestions, but how you are trying to provide water for humidity is also very important. If you have containers or compartments with straight sides so the surface area does not change as some water evaporates, then that is one issue. To me, it sounds more like you are using sponges or paper towels in a reservoir to provide surface area and these dry out during the day. That is just a guess though. It would help to know a bit more on what you are doing so we can provide better help.

4. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:hova-bator 1602-n. The thermometer/hydro is one from walmart and calibrated. I just added a sponge and put some water in bottom. It was up to 69% so I opened vent till it was back down to 56% closed vent and waiting for the drop.

5. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Okay so if I add water to the bottom reservoir, it should hold humidity temps better?

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If you check out this link, the instructions in the set-up at the top right tells you which reservoir to fill. If this does not work right you can try adding water to the other resevoirs. That is why those water reservoirs are there. And the plastic makes clean-up easier.

https://www.gqfmfg.com/pdf/Thermal Hova-Bator instructions.pdf

7. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Dahhh I'm so dumb I guess thats why I don't bake that often either. Maybe if I wouldn't try to wing everything I would have better luck. Thank You Ridgerunner for opening my eyes. Mental note to all, "DO NOT THROW AWAY INSTRUCTIONS"

8. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    update Thank you Ridgerunner for suggesting I look at the manual. Yes it did work and everything is staying where it should be. Just a note to anyone who is having humidity problems read the manual to your bator. It's there so we use it properly. I hope my hatch works go into lockdown next Saturday. Started with 13 eggs down to 7.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by