Humidity and wet weather

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by The_Mother_Hen, Nov 28, 2010.

1. The_Mother_Hen

The_Mother_Hen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2010
    Willows, CA
    I understand the importance of low humidity, but how do you control it in wet, rainy weather? [​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I'd say the best is by having insulation. Out here the humidity is ALWAYS above 60% and it is almost always raining. . . Just as long as there's a dry coop available, no leaks, and decent insulation as well as things kept clean, you shouldn't have issues.

The only issues we've had are when the coop leaks. (It's an old building really, it needs a roof fixing)

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    You can't always. That's why IMO it is not a bad idea to have the *capacity* to run a small lamp in the coop even if you do not *intend* to heat, because sometimes weird weather (like prolonged 100% humidity right around the freezing point) or chicken health issues can cause problems you would not normally have.

Chickens don't typically have problems with short stretches of just regular ol' humid (or raining) weather, though. Assuming the coop is otherwise well managed.

It will often be somewhat dryer in the coop than outdoors anyhow, especially if your coop is designed such that it tends to stay a bit warmer than outdoors overnight. (A given amount of water vapor in the air is a lower relative humidity at warmer temperatures than at cooler temperatures), and if the coop materials themselves are nice and dry from an earlier spell of dry weather.

Personally I really think that it makes more sense to base your management decisions on how the chickens look than what number you see on a hygrometer, although having numbers available is not a *bad* thing per se [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. The_Mother_Hen

The_Mother_Hen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2010
    Willows, CA
    Thanks for your words of wisdom. My coop is well insulated, draft free and dry, so I should be in good shape. My chickens are happy and healthy as well... Just want to be sure to keep them that way! [​IMG]

5. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    Good ventilation is key to keep a coop dry. Cleaning up droppings on a regular basis will help, as well have a catch tray under the waterer, so it prevents the litter from getting soaked..We tend to get a lot of rain at this time of they year, and my coop is still nice and dry.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by