1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Humidity at 50% lots of moisture under lid. NORMAL?????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jayburd, Jan 9, 2010.

1. jayburd

jayburd Out Of The Brooder

Lexan top on bater. Room is about 65. Bater at 99.5. cooler bator that is about 16 x 24 x 12. water pan is 5 x 10 with 3 x 8 sponge in it. should I get different hydrometer ? big drops on bottom of lexan. I don't think any have actially dripped though.

2. trulefty

trulefty Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2009
    Magnolia, Ms
    Have you calibrated your hydrometer?

3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I would sure check hydrometer, that size pan with a sponge should generate 90%+ humidity. Which, if its condensing, it probably is.

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

If you have condenstion, that is water beads or droplets, showing ... then I think your hygrometer is not accurate. Generally, at 50% you would not see condensation.

5. jayburd

I bought new hydrometer today and after letting it sit in the Bater for a couple hours it maxed out at 90% and my old one still read 50%.
    What is the chance that I wrecked the hatch? It is day 3. This temp moisture thing is driving me crazy.
    Please tell me I didn't wreck 53 eggs.

Thanks for all the help, Jay

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

All you can do is wait till you candle the first time and see. Good thing you caught it so early.

7. rosaline

rosaline Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    England
    [​IMG] Your hatch is still in the early stages, so you will probably be ok. Get the humidity back down to 50% maybe even lower for a little while. It would of been worse if that had happened in the last three days of lockdown.

Good luck [​IMG]

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Agreed. Condensation would mean humidity that is very high.

9. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Humidity isn't that critical during incubation. Spikes and drops have little impact. Overall eggs do need to actually lose moisture within a certain range to hatch properly so a constantly high or low humidity will eventually cause problems but a few days makes little difference until they get to the last few days before hatching.

10. jayburd

Cool. Good news. Thanks for all the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by