humidity at 59%?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chkinut, Jan 5, 2011.

1. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    i've read so many threads about humidity it's not even funny.....but now that it's hatch day....and i only have 2 pips so far.....(i know, patience) but i can't help but 2nd guess my humidity level. i feel like they might not have enough humidity....i'm worried.

2. glenolam

glenolam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Canterbury, CT
    If you're worried you can always spritz the eggs with a warm mist. 57% seems a bit low to me, but I'll admit I'm very lax when it comes to that. I usually just make sure my water trays are just about full and every now and then poke my face in. Not a good method by any means, but so far it's been OK for me!

Are they in a warm, damp room like a bathroom? You could turn the shower on to very hot and let the room steam up then open the incubator and look at each egg.

3. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    59% may be okay. Mine went down to that overnight and I have had 10 chicks hatch so far and 5 more pips but with me awake I added a little more water in the well and put the red vent plug back in until it gets back to 65% then I remove it as long as the temp is doing fine. I had to quickly grab the chicks hatched yesterday out this morning because they were trampling over the new hatchlings. That pleased my husband because he thought they were gonna get hurt. I put the ones I removed in the brooder because there are more eggs to hatch yet. Good luck with your hatch.

4. happytxchick

happytxchick Egg Song Acre

Jul 8, 2009
    Sulphur Springs, TX
    I don't even use a hygrometer and my hatches are always great. I just add extra water on day 18 when I move the eggs out of the turner. If there is a little condensation on the windows, then I am satisfied.

Just keep waiting. Clean the house...it gets your mind off the eggs...lol

5. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:This is how I'm going to start doing my hatches again. I did this last winter and had almost 100% hatches every single time. This winter I started trying to measure it and it's seriously keeping me up at night with anxiety. I have spent endless amounts of money on thermometers, hygrometers etc and hours trying to get them all calibrated. It's driving me nuts, literally. I never use a thermometer in my brooders either, just let the chicks tell me if they are too cold or hot so I think I'm going to do the same with the incubator.

6. Four Oaks Bantams

Four Oaks Bantams Out Of The Brooder

I do not worry about humidity either. I have learned to check the air cell in the egg and hatch . Canle the eggs and if their is too much humidity there will not be much of an air cell. If the air cell is more than probally a third of the egg, then humidity is too low.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by