Humidity at lockdown?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tia, Apr 20, 2012.

1. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    I just went into lock down with my chicken eggs and changed the humidity from 50 to 55. Should I go to 60 or is 55 correct for chickens during lock down? Thanks.

2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    If you can get it to 60% that would probably be good, but I think they should hatch okay with 55% humidity. The thing about humidity is that if you ask 10 diffferent people, you are going to get 10 different answers on what is the "right" humidity.

3. tia

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Thanks - that is the truth... I've read lots of different things. I'm not sure where I had it last year when I did this. I need to keep a journal.

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

Mar 29, 2011
    You should definitely keep some sort of record of your hatch and past hatches. It will really help you to be able to refer back to your past hatches.
    I made a chart before my hatch and every time I make a change (ie: Turn eggs, Add water etc.) I write down what I did, what the temp was, what the humidity was, what day of incubation, and the date. At the end of the hatch, I hole punch the chart papers and place it into a binder.
    I also make a paper and write about my hatch. What was the hatch rate? What can I improve next time? etc.

Good luck!

5. tia

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Have to go to the school and check on the eggs. They are scheduled to hatch Monday - but who knows. This has been the strangest batch. I have not been able to candle them well - you can see that there is something there and I pulled a couple that weren't fertile, but I haven't been able to detect a lot of movement.... I'm hoping for the best.

6. sunny & the 5 egg layers

Mar 29, 2011
    [​IMG]

7. tia

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Today was day 19 and I don't even see any movement yet... that is scary. I have them on a no slip rubber thing inside the incubator and I don't think that would keep them from rolling and rocking a little. Maybe tomorrow. They aren't due to hatch until Monday.... but hope I would be seeing some sign by now.... a little wiggle or something,

8. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    You don't always see wiggling. Sometimes they just start pipping and zipping without any noticable wiggling. Or they do it when your not looking.

Lanae

1 person likes this.
  9. tia

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Day 20... nothing happening. I will not open that incubator and candle an egg..... I will not open that incubator and candle an egg.... I will not open that incubator and candle an egg.... patience ... where are you???????????????????????

10. sunny & the 5 egg layers

Mar 29, 2011
    It's only day 20. It's still early yet. I wouldn't start getting worried until day 24.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by