Humidity at Lockdown!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Goldenlaceannie, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Goldenlaceannie

Goldenlaceannie Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2012
    Hello,

I put my eggs on lockdown yesterday at around 12:00 pm. I am a little worried because the humidity is lower than 55% humidity and more around 50%. I was wondering if it would be okay if I opened the incubator for just a second while I add a little more water. If you do not think that it is a good idea, do you think it would be okay for the humidity to be lower than 55% humidity. I am also a little scared that it might get below 50% humidity, because it is still decreasing. Also, this is a newbie question, but what should the exact temperature be when the eggs are hatching? Thanks.

Goldenlaceannie

2. lucyharper123

lucyharper123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    if i were you i would just open it it will do no harm i open the bator all the time and there fine:) think if a chicken she wouldent mind she would just get up to go for somthing to eat & drink :)

Angela lyon likes this.
  3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Your humidity should be around 60% now. How high was it during the first 18 days? If the eggs lost enough moisture during incubation to leave an adequate air sac the chicks should be O.K. But you'll have to watch when they hatch and not open that door unless you absolutely have to! One tip I read here is that the water surface in whatever you are using in the incubator influences the humidity. The water will evaporate more from a larger surface. I hope I make sense! LOL Here's a great article on humidity if you want to read more:

http://www.brinsea.com/customerservice/humidity.html

Good luck with your hatch!

1 person likes this.
  4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    good advice!! [​IMG]

5. hillfloweranch

hillfloweranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    I have a question for all you experts out there....do you notice the rise in humidity after eggs hatch? and should you worry about it if it goes up to like 80 or 90% ?? I'm curious because this has happened twice and not sure if it's a concern. It always drops back down to 60% after a little bit, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks
    Heather

6. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    nope thats fine, it will go up with wet chicks and wet shells in there.... i if it gets higher than say 84 you can crack the lid for a moment to release a bit of moisture....
    it wont hurt to do that at all....

7. hillfloweranch

hillfloweranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    cool...thank you Sally

8. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

9. Goldenlaceannie

Goldenlaceannie Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2012
    Thanks sumi,
    This info has definitely eased my worry. For your question about the humidity for the first eighteen days, it was fairly high. I am not sure if it was too high or a good amount. It was usually between 50% and 60% humidity. A few times, however, it would jump pretty high whenever I added water. I am pretty positive that the humidity has never gotten over 75% humidity. The only time it has ever even gotten to 75% is when I added a tad bit more water than what was needed, but it went down pretty quickly. I am wondering though, what would happen if the eggs did absorb a little much water? I am really hoping that nothing will happen.

Goldenlaceannie

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Humidity in the 50's during incubation is fine. I've incubated and locked down with humidity around there (I couldn't get it higher for lockdown) and the chicks hatched out O.K. But like I said, don't open the incubator once they start hatching. Have you candled and checked the air sac size?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by