Humidity Concerns

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MaconMommy5, Mar 15, 2017.

1. MaconMommy5

MaconMommy5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Central GA
    I know I've found A million+ threads on humidity, But I've learned that It differs quite a bit based on many things. Location and Incubator being two of those factors. I'm hoping someone has a similar DIY incubator and can help. My Incubator is DIY. It's an Insulated Rubber Maid Type Container. We have a thermostat, Multiple Lights, Multiple Thermometers/Hydrometers, And a CPU fan all wired up. My home stays about 70, With the humidity around 40%. Anyone have an Opinion on where I should have it start, And how I'll know if I need to raise/lower it? Also, What's the best humidity to have from day 18+? Any experienced insight would be appreciated! [​IMG][​IMG]

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I am in SC, I just recently helped a Lady in Canada above the Great Lakes improve her hatch % by Big Numbers---less than 50% to 96% her last hatch. I told her we would start with my humidity and change if needed---So My humidity % seems to be working in Canada too. I incubate at app 35% and hatch at app 75%+. I hatch about 98 to 100% every hatch, with some times as many as 250 eggs hatching at one time---last big hatch was 233 hatched out of 236 eggs(long story but I knew 3 of them were not going to hatch when I put them in the hatcher). Just for info----I rarely ever candle more than 1 time and I never check air cells. I Never open the incubator during the hatch. I Guess you would call me a Complete hands Off Hatcher----But that's my way-----doesn't have to be anyone else's way. Good Luck

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  3. MaconMommy5

MaconMommy5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Central GA

Awesome! I'll give those numbers a shot and hope for the best! Thank you!

4. lilwildrabbit

lilwildrabbit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2017
    Brinson Georgia
    Yea I like the dry hatch method I had a major loss and had nothing but old eggs here I went with the methods of dry hatch and I did get an amazing 25% out of month old eggs out of the refridgerator that was amazing and with my recovery of the cold eggs of my Dutch hen I places 11 eggs in lockdown with about 17 eggs already in I now have 5 perky little chicks and 2 are piped so a great save there so I'm hooked with the 30-35% before lockdown then juice it up at lockdown at 65 - 75% it works for me here I'll start a little changing to suit me here but airsacks are my indicators and they are my final determination as to wether to raise or lower humidity. I'm hoping by next year to be able to get a 80% or more hatch rate if not sooner!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  5. RoosterJuice

RoosterJuice Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2017
    Honestly I never concern myself too much with humidity and I do fine. I live in Canada and it's very dry right now. I had to add 4 sponges just to bring the humidity up to the minimum... My humidity throughout the process was 30-55%, and at the moment I'm in lockdown at around 70%.

6. lilwildrabbit

lilwildrabbit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2017
    Brinson Georgia
    I'm just hoping that the addition of the dutchie eggs don't mess up the eggs I have in lockdown they should start hatching in a few days too I'm going to have a long long week but love it!!

7. cwalsh2

cwalsh2 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Hermosa South Dakota
    It sounds like most success is close to my figures. I run 40% till the second day of lockdown, then raise to 60%. When chicks start haching the humidity will climb to over 70%, from all the wet chicks. That is OK. When hatching 20, it only climbs to 62%, but they still almost all hatch. I have had good success from 30% to 45% for 19 days, and 50% to 70% for lockdown. I just settled on 40 & 60 but 35 & 70 probably would not see much difference. Run 50% or more and you can expect lots of piped eggs with chicks not getting out, wet sticky chicks, deformed curled toes, and low hatch rates, but this is what incubator manufacturers recommend. I will never understand that. I am in South Dakota at 3200 ft elevation, in a dry climate. My incubator holds 288 eggs, and I have set from 18 to 200 with similar results. Always over 90%.

8. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    For standard eggs I run 30% days 1-17 and 70-75% for hatch. I monitor air cells to know I'm on target. This is my method: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

9. Jennn27

Jennn27 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2015
    Marshall, TX
    I always run 30-35% until day 18, then 60-65% until hatch. Works great for me...never had any drownings (from high humidity) or shrink-wrapping. I live in east Texas...so it's always humid. lol And I keep my bator in my bathroom.

10. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Sounds like your un-concern with the humidity is pretty much in check!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by