Humidity concerns

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ascott1978, May 7, 2008.

1. ascott1978

ascott1978 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Joshua, Tx
    * Only second time hatching eggs *

I went to check my eggs last night (day 19) to remove the turner. When I checked the water level it was completely empty. I know there was plenty of water at day 7 but apparently I forgot to add water at day 14. Generally the water last a week in the past.

Should I be greatly concerned that I my have lost the clutch?

I'm getting a new temperature / humidity gauge before I start the next clutch that for sure. At least if I have that I can monitor the humidity better.

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  2. tat2edlady

tat2edlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    no you have not lost your eggs just add hot water and jump it up to about 60 to 65% and you should be good to go.

Mindy

And it will get higher as the chicks hatch so do not freak if humity (sp) get way up there but do not let it got higher than 75 I think

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Yup, just try getting the humidity up now...mine ranges in the 60 to 70% for the last three days...

a small springfield or accurite thermometer/hygrometer from wal-mart will work just fine...also add fresh batteries when setting a new clutch of eggs...

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  4. newdock

newdock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    British Columbia
    Humidity in your incubator is highly dependent on the humidity in your environment.

I live in an environment where I have cedar trees and ferns growing in my yard....hence I do not have to add much (if any) water during the first 18 days to have the correct humidity.

If I filled my tray as per the instructions that came with the incubator, my chicks would have drowned (this happened last year because I didn't know any better).

I filled one channel during the last 3 days and my humidity settles just around 70%

So basically, if you live in a very dry environment, your eggs might have lost a bit too much water (which means they may have a harder time hatching, but I would still remain very optimistic, just keep an eye out for that at hatching time), but if you live in a humid environment, you should be in a great position.

5. ascott1978

Apr 4, 2008
    Joshua, Tx
    Thanks everyone. Currently I don't even have a hygrometer, but one good scare like this is enough to make me go get one.

6. ascott1978

Apr 4, 2008
    Joshua, Tx
    There hatching....

Again thanks to all that replied.

7. tat2edlady

tat2edlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    So how many you got out now.

Mindy

8. ascott1978

Apr 4, 2008
    Joshua, Tx
    One is out and two are nearly out. But there are about 10 / 12 others peeping. There's about 39 in there though. And its only day 20.

I hate it because I'm at work and their at home. [​IMG]

9. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    The suspense must be killing you to see them! I know it would be killing me!

10. ascott1978

Apr 4, 2008
    Joshua, Tx
    No, not really [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by