Humidity control

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LocoPollo, Sep 10, 2008.

1. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    I am thinking about getting an incubator, but I am not sure I want to spend a fortune for it. I would like to get auto turning, but don't think I can afford those that have humidity control. If I don't have that on my incubator, how do I control humidity?

Thanks for your thoughts!

2. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    it's quite easy. [​IMG] But I have a homemade bator so your bator may be different.
    To raise humidity, it helps a lot to put one or more bowls of water in the bator. I put wire in the bator and placed the dish of water under the wire so the chicks won't drown when they hatch. Humidity should be up to 40% for the first 18 days and then up to 70-80% on a few days before hatching. To tell humidity without having to buy a bator that is higher priced and has a humidity gauge, buy a gauge separately. Then you can tape it inside the bator where you can see it. I never bought a humidity gauge so I don't know my humidity but it must be ok because the egg is forming! [​IMG]
    Good luck!

3. spydertoys

spydertoys Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Munfordville, Kentucky
    I use two of the commercial styrofoam incubators, with the automatic turners..as far as I am concerned that is a must.
    When I set the eggs I add water to the middle reservoir, and add warm water as needed. Three days before the hatch..I remove the turner and add water to all three reservoirs so that they are all full. I get pretty good hatches barring any complications with Mother Nature, such as the power going out.

I know that it has been said that the amount of water you need varies according to the climate you are in..but this works for me.

4. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    Thanks for the info. I don't have a bator atm. I am trying to decide which one I want. Well, I WANT an Octogon 20 advanced or an Rcom Pro 20 but I can't see spending $500 for an incubator just starting out. I guess the hovabator with an egg turner is the next best?

5. spydertoys

spydertoys Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Munfordville, Kentucky
    Mine are both Little Giants..but lots of folks here seem to use the Hovabator. I am looking into getting one of the bugger Sportsman incubators by spring..those are listed between $500-$600. Right now I don't have enough layers to fill one..but I will.

I keep both incubators going at all times to increase my flocks and in spring if there are any I don't want..they will be sold.

6. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:Well now .... If ya gonna jump in, jump in right at the top [​IMG]

or ....

You can make your own, check out my sig or search for homemade incubator

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by