humidity day 21

Tylermclinchey22

In the Brooder
Feb 1, 2022
so i am on day 21 of incubation (no pips or eggs rocking) in my forced air incubator from day 1-18 i had the humidity 40-60% and temp has been 99.5 the full time
on day 18 i boosted the humidity to 60-65 and left the temp the same and have no action right now( all eggs are fertile and developed well) should i turn the humidity up even more? and how would do that since im on day 21? thanks!

The humidity is a little on the 'high side'. 55 to 60% Rh is good, if you go higher, you run the risk of getting 'stuck chicks' which is different from 'shrink wrapped' chicks.
High humidity acts like a lubricate, as the chicks try to zip, they will keep slipping back to the same position, thus, wearing themselves out and becoming (dis) 'died in shell'.

If none have pipped, you can open the top to lower the humidity, temporarily having it open will not harm the chicks if none have pipped.

so i am on day 21 of incubation (no pips or eggs rocking) in my forced air incubator from day 1-18 i had the humidity 40-60% and temp has been 99.5 the full time
on day 18 i boosted the humidity to 60-65 and left the temp the same and have no action right now( all eggs are fertile and developed well) should i turn the humidity up even more? and how would do that since im on day 21? thanks!
Did you candle the eggs before you set them into lockdown? 🙂

The humidity is a little on the 'high side'. 55 to 60% Rh is good, if you go higher, you run the risk of getting 'stuck chicks' which is different from 'shrink wrapped' chicks.
High humidity acts like a lubricate, as the chicks try to zip, they will keep slipping back to the same position, thus, wearing themselves out and becoming (dis) 'died in shell'.

If none have pipped, you can open the top to lower the humidity, temporarily having it open will not harm the chicks if none have pipp

If none have pipped, you can open the top to lower the humidity, temporarily having it open will not harm the chicks if none have pipped.

Did you candle the eggs before you set them into lockdown? 🙂
yes

when should i be concerned if none have pipped?

I had no idea such a thing could happen. I had close to a dozen fully developed chicks that never pipped in my last hatch. 37 did hatch but, wow, I didn’t know high humidity would cause that.

when should i be concerned if none have pipped?
If none have externally pipped you can safely take them out one by one and see if they have internally pipped. It should look something like this:
FC98003B-D76F-4C70-840C-73FD9C4E04C6.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom