Humidity Days 19-21 Genesis Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SusanJoM, Jun 16, 2008.

1. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

I've had my second Genesis running for a day or so since today I need to move some eggs off the turner.

What I've noticed is that even with all the troughs full I can't get the humidity above about 59%.

I'm guessing it's because of that layer of drawer liner over the hardware cloth? Does that make sense? It's got holes in it, but it's pretty dense, so I'm thinking that is keeping the humidity level low (in the same way that people put aluminum foil over some of the water troughs to lower the humidity)....

In the last hatch, I simply added a warm wet washcloth and that worked perfectly well, but I'm wondering if there is something else -- maybe cheesecloth? -- that works better at keeping the chicks off the wire while still letting the humidity rise enough????

By the way, I have also threaded three separate tubes through the top vent plug hole and into each of three water troughs for easier filling, but....as it is, I'm guessing I will simply need the washcloths....

Anyway, I have to move the eggs in today, so if you have any ideas, I'd appreciate them.

Susan

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  2. Homegroanacres

Homegroanacres Chillin w/the Ice in my Glass

Apr 10, 2008
    Salem, Oregon
    A small sponge works great

3. SusanJoM

Quote:I'm sure it does, and thanks. The washcloth works fine and I don't really need an alternative to that. I'm just still thinking that the 'bator is supposed to get humid enough without those things.....

And, I guess maybe I've come up with a plausible answer to my own question: we tinkered with the design of the 'bator by adding the shelf liner, so then we have to compensate by adding the washcloth or sponge......????

Okay, I can live with that, but I'm still wondering if anyone who uses something else over the hardware cloth does NOT have to add the extra wet washcloth or sponge???

Susan

4. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I have the same problem so what I do is if you look at the liner it has the little indentions on the side of the 2 water troughs. I fill that little area with water and it brings my humidity up to 70% -73% and it works out great.

5. SusanJoM

Quote:Hmmm....I found one extra small trough and I filled that. I also tried something else. The hatcher is sitting on a wire rack over a sink. So, I filled that sink up with water to see if maybe a bit of more humid air would creep in through the vent holes???? We will see. I'll check back in an hour or so.....Eggs will go in around noon.

Thanks, PI.

Susan

6. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I use the shelf liner too and it didn't change the humidity any. It's just the room I think I have it in but I do add the little extra water at the end. That helps it bring it up to the 70%. What kind of hygrometer are you using? Are you sure it's reading correctly? I use a wet bulb thermometer to get my humidity readings. Then found one of the cheap round dials from petsmart that read correctly with the wet bulb one.

7. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Quote:I agree with John-my hova is sometimes difficult to get up to humidity in those last days, so I just add a sponge and it comes out perfect!

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You have to also consider the humidity in your house. Sometimes adding a humidifier to the room helps raise it. The simplest most easy way it to add the big wet sponge.

Just to be sure everyone knows - Don't use the sponge again. Throw it out. It will harbor bacteria that can harm a subsequent hatch.

9. SusanJoM

well now the humidity is up at 86%....

Oh piffle...

Guess I won't need to add any water for the next 3 days...

Susan

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Try to bring it down. You want it nearer to 70%. Don't let the condesation build up. The chicks won't be able to dry when they hatch with that kind of humidity. When they start to hatch the humidity is going to rise on its own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by