Humidity differences in bator - still air

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cqranch, Dec 20, 2008.

1. cqranch

cqranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Russellville
    I know an LG Still Air can have differences in temps throughout the bator, but apparently humidity can be quite different as well. The front of my bator tends to run hotter than the back, so naturally those eggs are hatching first.. started yesterday.. day 20. The dial I have reading the humidity is at the back which reads between 65-70%. But apparently it isn't that high at the front of the bator, because so far all 5 that pipped have gotten stuck because the membrane dried. Didn't really realize it until after the first one died in shell after pipping. Assisted the other 4 and they are all doing well. I put the front plug back in with a bit more water at the front hoping that helps. Just an observation I thought I'd share for those using a still air.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    After day 18 both plugs should be in at all times.
    That is unless the humidity goes to high, then pull the plug for a few minutes to lower it. I can't understand the difference in the temp from front to back either. I have never noticed this with any of the L Gs I have. After all your eggs hatch, please try this. Take three thermometers and place one in the front, one in the back and one in the middle. Give each at least four hours in each position recording the temps. You may find that the thermometer in question may be off or you may have a defective bator. Please keeps us posted as to which it is.

3. cqranch

cqranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Russellville
    I always have three therms in the bator, spread out in different areas of the bator. They all register a different temp, but all within 99-101. I have heard on here many times about the temps being different in a still air because the air isn't being circulated. So I'm not really concerned about the temps, they're all diff, but all within range.

4. Jamie821

Jamie821 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Niota, Tennessee
    Have you calibrated your hydrometer. At that high of humidity you should have drowned your chicks not dried them out. I have a hydrometer that is 14 percent off. Yours could have been to. Also did you open your bator at all after you put them in for hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by