Humidity diy incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kuhnse51, Feb 6, 2015.

1. kuhnse51

kuhnse51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2014
    I've had my simple diy incubator set up this past week trying to get a steady temp and humidity going. I got the temp to hover around 102 (according to my thermometer, but I haven't checked its accuracy) but my humidity is right around 16% without any water. When I add water to increase humidity my temp stays at a consistently lower temp around 97-99 and humidity only increases to about 22%. I know it is recommended to have humidity higher 30-50% but would it be okay to do the dry method with it as low as 16%?

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I'm not sure about your humidity question, but I can't stress enough the importance of getting an accurate thermometer. Are you using a digital one, or an old fashioned bulb thermometer? My gold standard was an old fashioned mercury rectal thermometer. I calibrated all of my other thermometers from that one. Does your DIY have a thermostat? I did find with mine that when I increased the humidity past 50%, the thermostat tended to get wonky. Have you tried using a sponge to control humidity? I found that to be super easy. Piece of aquarium tubing through the wall of the bator, attached to a syringe on the outside, and running into a cup attached to the wall on the inside. Sponge in the cup. Squirt water into the cup, and the sponge wicks up the water. I used a piece of sponge about 1.5" x 3 - 4". Then just added an other sponge when it was time for lock down.

3. kuhnse51

Aug 19, 2014
    I have one of those accurite thermostat/hygrometer in it which is what I'm basing my temps/humidity off of. I've tried testing it with an old bulb rectal thermometer but the only reading I got off of that was 100 degrees and now it won't get any reading, not sure whats wrong with it. I've put a cup of water with a dish cloth in it to wick up the water but it hasn't increased humidity too much and decreased temp. I put the damp dish cloth spread out at one point but that increased it wayyy too much and it dried out pretty quickly. I'll have to see if I have a sponge laying around anywhere and test that.

4. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    You can use an old sponge to test, but since they're such bacteria targets, I always use a new one.

5. kuhnse51

Aug 19, 2014
    Well...no sponge, but I figured since they are supposed to be absorbent I would try using a feminine pad [​IMG] I cut it into smaller pieces and it is working like a charm so far, I just stuck a piece right to the side of the incubator lmao I know I'll have to take it out before they hatch because I don't want them pecking at it but for now it is perfect!

6. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Those things have so many uses... Dr got quite a chuckle when I showed up at the office with a family member... who was sporting a feminine pad used for a dressing over a fairly large wound.

7. kuhnse51

Aug 19, 2014
    Haha they can be so handy!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by