Humidity down in the 30's....and I have pips....HELP!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ourhouse51, Aug 9, 2008.

1. ourhouse51

ourhouse51 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2007
    SE Oklahoma....
    One chick hatched out this afternoon and I have 2 more eggs with pips. I can hear peeps from the bator.
    My temp is holding steady at 100 but all of a sudden my humidity has plummeted from the 60's to the 30's! I have a maxi pad in the bator, it is nice and wet...I also have one well full of water.

I am so afraid that these last 4 chicks will die in the eggs if the humidity stays down.....

2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Relax, you have plenty, if not more than enough water. If you are over 21, have a drink, play a video game, watch a movie or go to bed. In the morning you will have more chicks.

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Don't worry about it. It's possible your hygrometer is wacky. Mine gets weird about the end of the second week in the bator. I take it out and in a couple of days it's fine. I would imagine your humidity is fine.

4. ourhouse51

Feb 24, 2007
    SE Oklahoma....
    A drink sounds good......Then maybe I would fall asleep while watching the bator!
    My daughter and grandson from Dallas are here and got to see one hatch today...I hope they get to see another! I have a BIG pip...(when does it change from being a pip to a ZIP?) and you can see the baby working so hard to get out. The other egg has a starburst...not open yet.

Thanks for all the encouragement. This is my 2nd hatch in a bator..the first one...hardboiled in the shell......I have 6 good chicks from this hatch so far...

[​IMG]

5. ourhouse51

Feb 24, 2007
    SE Oklahoma....
    Woke up to another baby this morning. Unfortunately, the one that had pipped so good last night was dead in the shell. It looked like chickzilla.....it was huge. Maybe it was too big to get itself out of that tight spot.

Had another this morning....it is still sitting in the shell, thinking about moving out I guess.

Leaves me with one more to go.....

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Sorry about the one that didn't make it. I had a NHR chick that was HUGE also. It not only pipped but zipped 1/2 way and then died. I was watching it zip, stepped away for about 15 minutes and when I returned the zipping had stopped and the chick had died. It happens...so sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by