humidity drop day 19

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by The Lisser, Dec 9, 2010.

1. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

My DH built my homemade incubator and a separate hatcher (because I got eggs going all the time!). Instead of fiddling with water bowls and sponges, he built a controller and used ultrasonic humidifiers for the humidity. We've had a few mishaps with this design, but overall it works great and the humidity stays constant . . . as long as the water reservoirs are filled!

Well with my current hatch, I woke up yesterday morning and the humidifier was out of water and the humidity in my hatcher was 16%!! Ee gads!!!! It had been fine the previous evening but I guess since it's so cold outside and the furnace is running constantly, the humidifier is running way more than it did with my previous hatches. Of course I immediately filled it up and it was soon back where it should be. That was day 19 on my hatch.

Do my babies have a chance??? I will be starting day 21 this evening - I don't see any pips but did hear a peep this morning. Humidity is at 68%. If the babies hadn't pipped would there be a chance they were "shrink wrapped"? With having the humidity okay the rest of the time, would the water be replenished in the membranes??

Thanks for any help.

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I think you've done all you can now. Maybe it was dry for only a small amount of time. A suggestion if that happens again, warm mist of water - quickly over eggs will raise the hummidity quickly. Praying for a great hatch!!! Nancy

3. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    I think you are probably OK only time will tell, i don't think a hen stays on the nest the last 3 days with out coming off, & humidity would surely fall when she does, don't know this for sure but its my guess you will be OK, good luck, let us know how you come out.

4. The Lisser

Thank you for the answers and encouragement! I have 4 pips now so I'm hoping I will get some chicks from this hatch! [​IMG] Will post an update later.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

More than likely they are fine. Temp and humidity problems during lockdown affect them less than if it had happened on say day 10.

6. The Lisser

I have two chicks!!!! Yippeee!! And a whole lotta pips. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. The Lisser

Well, I think the humidity drop did not affect the hatch. [​IMG] I ended up with 8 healthy chicks out of 13 eggs that made it to lockdown. That's pretty typical for my experience with shipped silkie eggs - about half make it to hatching (of the ones that develop).

I will try to take a picture later! [​IMG]

Melissa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by