humidity drop during lockdown

elmi

In the Brooder
Jan 31, 2017
So i am currently on day 20 of hatching and i should probably start seeing some pips soon. But my humidity dropped from 70 % to 48 % and temperature went up to 39 celsius in a still air incubator. did i lose them ?

So i am currently on day 20 of hatching and i should probably start seeing some pips soon. But my humidity dropped from 70 % to 48 % and temperature went up to 39 celsius in a still air incubator. did i lose them ?

They should be fine at 39 cel for a little while, but hope you got it back down. Question, why did the humidity drop? Did you open or some of your water evaporated and cause a channel to empty?? I just have never had the humidity to drop like that during lock down??

I don't know what made the humidity to drop so dramatically but i got it up really fast. and i got the temperature back down too. Just a little bit worried. Also should the chicks be chirping inside the egg at this point ?

I don't know what made the humidity to drop so dramatically but i got it up really fast. and i got the temperature back down too. Just a little bit worried. Also should the chicks be chirping inside the egg at this point ?

Explain how you got the humidity back up and temp down?? I do not know your experience in hatching. So I do not know if your thermometer is correct and the chicks will hatch on time? Mine do start pipping on day 20 and start hatching late day 20 and through day 21. What was your set date???

i set the eggs on 28.1. i got the humidity back up adding wet rags and the temp went down as i opened the incubator to add the wet rags. This is my first time hatching.

i set the eggs on 28.1. i got the humidity back up adding wet rags and the temp went down as i opened the incubator to add the wet rags. This is my first time hatching.

OK so today is the 20th day. If your thermometer is correct you should see a egg or 2 pipping now or a little later today, But if not don't get alarmed---if the temp is a little low they might pip tomorrow. How many eggs you got in it? Did you candle them before going into lock down? I do not like using a rag/sponge because of it drying out and causing the humidity to drop--unless I monitor close and keep adding a little water to it several times a day. I rather have the amount of water surface I need using the water channels or add containers. Do you use warm water (about 37.5) when you add it or just cold out the tap? Should use around the same as the incubator temp. Thermometers can be off and can cause a early hatch or a delayed hatch. I do not know where you live but in some locations you Should NOT open the incubator at all during lock down----you can not open here where I live. If I do I will loose most of my hatch. Might not effect you in your area. If needed I already have a set-up to add water through a vent hole etc.

Last edited:
i got only two which is sad. I candled them before going into lock down and they were well and moving.
I have also couple of dishes with water in them and i add water to them through straws so i dont need to open the incubator.
I always add warm water. I live in a rather cold are so i dont know if its a problem here.

Back
Top Bottom