1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Humidity drop question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gaillardia, Jun 20, 2011.

1. gaillardia

gaillardia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    Larkspur, CO
    My humidity did a nose dive today, but I don't know for how long.

I am on day 7, with a HovaBator Genesis. When I checked the humidity early this morning, it was at 49%, but this evening, after being stuck away from the house all day, I looked in and it was at 10%. I am at 7,300 feet in elevation, so the HovaBator instructions says to keep the red plug out; I assume this it to allow more ventilation to account for less Oxygen, but then the humidity leaves easier.

This is my first set, so I have no idea what this type of drop will do to my little guys. Are they doomed? I still have two more weeks, and I want to be mentally prepared if this was a fatal error.

Thanks!

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
  3. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    No youre fine. This statement varies from person to person but humidity is not very essential for the first 14 days. After that, it needs to be monitored. I know people who have down "dry" hatches before. This is a complete disregard for humidity until the last couple days. Being at 10% for that short amount of time will do no harm.

4. gaillardia

gaillardia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    Larkspur, CO
    Quote:Thanks so much for the reassurance! My decision to incubate is interferring with a trip to see my family for the 4th of July (Hatch date the 5th), and they don't get why I am choosing Lavender Orpingtons over a family picinic in hot and humid Oklahoma. It would be even harder to explain if I messed up the whole thing. I have invited them to come witness the hatch [​IMG]

I had hatch day dreams last night and they consisted of various nightmares about drowning the chicks, drying them out, etc. Only two more weeks of dreams and stress!

5. tec27

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Ya I had the same stresses. And the last couple days are the most important. You don't want a shrink wrapped chick or one that is born with sticky nasty all over it. Humidity and temp determine this. Just make sure your humidity is at 70% when you go into lockdown and keep a constant temp. Don't touch the chicks at this point and you'll be good. Having your humidity drop when it did will not decrease your hatch rate.

6. feadeli

feadeli Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2009
    I had hatch day dreams last night and they consisted of various nightmares about drowning the chicks, drying them out, etc.

Sort of unrelated to the original concern, but I am so relieved that I am not the only one obsessed enough to have nightmares about something going wrong with a hatch! I dreamed I put my eggs in apples to keep them safe, but then they cracked open, and I could hear the chicks dying [​IMG]

I am on day 19 of my first batch of baby chicks, and I am not sure I am going to do it again because it is so nerve wracking, lol.​

7. tec27

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I haven't had kids yet so I could not even imagine waiting 8-9 months for a child. 21 days feels like forever.

8. feadeli

feadeli Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2009
    I just had my second child last September, and not to trivialize the miracle of human birth, but waiting for these eggs to hatch is just about as nerve-wracking. Maybe it is because our bodies do all the work, but with the incubators there is so much that could go wrong.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree. I have had mine take a nose dive too and all turned out well.

10. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    I think you should be fine. It drops everytime you open the lid and goes right back up so that drop shouldn't be bad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by