Humidity during first 18 days...cant get it lower

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mathesonfarm, Jul 29, 2011.

1. mathesonfarm

mathesonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    New York
    Hey everyone,
    I just set my eggs on the 27th and before I put the eggs in, the humidity was about 35% but now that I put them in, it running between 45-50% with NO WATER. Is this too high? Is there something I should do? BTW, I have a still air LG with egg turners. Thanks in advance!

2. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

45-50% is fine. Stop worrying. [​IMG]

3. mathesonfarm

Nov 17, 2010
    New York
    Quote:Thank you so much! I read up on what to do during my first hatch BUT what I read was wrong! It said to have my humidity at 65% during the first 18 days and because of that, most of them drowned :0( So, now I am trying the dry method and hopefully it works out better this time. Thanks again.

4. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

I wish I had your humidity numbers. I dry incubate and because our area is very humid (and we don't have A/C) without adding any water I'm anywhere from 59 to 69%. We figure, even if we had broodies, she'd still be out in this same type of humidity so what can we do? We haven't had any problems with too much moisture in the eggs luckily and we STILL have to raise the humidity up to 70+% at lockdown. Your hatch will be fine. [​IMG]

5. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    I believe the first 18 days its safe at 45-65%. But Im no expert

6. mathesonfarm

Nov 17, 2010
    New York
    Thanks, everyone! During the last few days, it has been ranging between 37%-50% but I think its only hit 50% once. Reikistar, Im glad I dont have your problem! Happy hatching, guys!

7. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    The purpose of knowing the humidity level is really to have the egg lose moisture. You will need to look at the air cells at 7,14,18 days incubation and compare to a chart to be sure the egg is decreasing it's moisture levels. Try this picture. I printed a similar copy to look at and compare. Hope this is helpful.

http://www.guineafowlbirds.com/Guinea-Fowl-Articles/Egg-Hatch.html

Also a fan will cause more moisture loss. And a dehumidifier.

8. Bantam Chase

Bantam Chase Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    SC PA
    We must be neighbors - I have the exact same issue. Without eggs - 32%, with eggs high 30's to very low 50s... that's with the dehumidifier going and no water. Tomorrow is lockdown, i'll let you know how things turn out in a few days!

9. mathesonfarm

Nov 17, 2010
    New York
    Quote:THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! During my last hatch (also my first) I read a whole bunch of information about incubating and then came across some info about humidity. I read it some more and it was saying to have my humidity at 65% the first 18 days, so I did. I didnt find out until about day 16 that that wasnt correct! I did have 12 out of 36 hatch but 6 out of the 36 ended up being unfertile or died right in the begining but the other ones that we opened up, (almost a week later after candling again and doing the float test w/ no pos results) most of them were fully developed with alot of fluid inside, so I guess they drowned :0( So heartbreaking! That's why Im trying the dry incubation this time. I read alot of peoples threads on here about dry incubation and they say they have very positive results and hopefully I will, too! Thanks again, Arielle!

10. mathesonfarm

Nov 17, 2010
    New York
    Quote:[​IMG] LOL, thats so weird! I have been having a problem with my temp alittle bit this time, too. Last run, everything stayed exactly where I wanted it to and then things started going all wrong at the end...Hopefully this time, since I am having such a hard time keeping things where they should be, everything will go GREAT in the end [​IMG] We'll see and dont forget to keep me posted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by