Humidity Fight

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Flawedatdesign, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Don't know what the problem is but cannot get my humidity much over 60% . Last Lock down I had 18 more eggs in the bator than I do this time is that the problem?

2. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

sounds like you need to increase the surface area of your water supply.. can you add some sponges to a wet washcloth sticking out of the container of water?

3. Flawedatdesign

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    I'm doing everything I did last hatch plus added a couple of more containers. Not sure what the problem is.

4. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    What kind of incubator are you using, I put a bowl of water directly under the light bulb heating my incubator. YOU could put a bowl of water directly under the heat source. I would also plug every hole up in the incubator.

5. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    I have heard that you can use a big hand full of shredded cotton T-shirt, and put it on a saucer, and drench it in water.

6. Flawedatdesign

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Well the whole bottom of the bator is covered with water I have 6 jars of water in there I don't know what else to try and pull off.

7. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:Plugging up all the holes probably isn't the best idea. Yes, it will definitely raise the humidity, but it will also reduce the oxygen flow, which could do more harm to the chicks than slightly low humidity. The oxygen flow is absolutely crucial in the last week of incubation. If it wasn't, bators wouldn't have holes in the first place!

8. Flawedatdesign

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Well 65% is as high as I can seem to get it. I don't know what is different this round over my last hatch. It's in the same spot has more water in it then the last hatch did the only thing different is the number of eggs.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    If you are in lock down 65% is fine. I keep my humidity fir the first 18 days 40% to 50%. I don't have a clue why your humidity won't go up.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  10. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Quote:did you calibrate your hygrometer before this hatch?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by