Humidity fluctuating for Runner Ducks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Newduckmommy1221, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Newduckmommy1221

Newduckmommy1221 In the Brooder

Sep 25, 2018
    Ontario, Canada
    Hi everyone, I’m new to the incubating egg world. I have a hone daycare and thought it would be a nice and neat idea for the kids to see how the hatching process of a duckling is and so I decided to get an incubator (farm innovators 2450 circulated air) and picked up 12 fertile runner duck eggs from a local farm. I’m going into day 3 now and I’ve just been noticing that the humidity RH is fluctuating between 55%-65% it won’t ever go above 65% but it’s staying more between the 60s... is this bad for the embryo? I’m nervous that it can damage or reduce the rate of hatchability!! I’ve opened one air ventilator to let out some humidity and it works for only a period of time, the humidity drops to 59% and then when I put the air vent back on it quickly jumps back up to 62 or 63%. The temp is still at 99.5F it’s just maintaining the humidity I’m having a hard time doing. On day 2 in the morning, I went to go check on their leaves and their humidity was at 40%!!!! I freaked!!! I immediately added 1/4-1/2cup of warm water with a baster and the humidity started going up but stayed at around 60-64% throughout the entire day... help!!!

2. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    You do not want your humidity to be higher than about 40% in the first weeks of incubation before you lockdown before hatch. Humidity that is too high prevents the air cell in the egg from expanding as it should and it also can cause the chick to grow too large. You are in the early days yet so lower your humidity!!
    Read this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...y-sunshine-bantychooks.1046313/#post-16038469 or other incubating threads on here.
    Make sure you have an independent and calibrated (by you) thermometer and hygrometer, other than those with your incubator which can be quite incorrect. Good luck with your hatch.

WVduckchick likes this.
  3. Newduckmommy1221

Sep 25, 2018
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks for your reply! I have been researching everywhere about what humidity I should keep the incubator at and all of most sites say to keep the humidity at RH 55%.... you’re saying to keep it at 40%... I don’t know which one would be best? I know that 65% is way too high so I’ve just opened an air vent to let some humidity out and monitor their humidity at 55% or do you think that’s still too high?

4. 2 many chickens

2 many chickens Songster

Jan 14, 2017
    55 is too high.
    Way too high.
    I always do between 35% and 40% until lockdown.
    At lock down, it goes up to 65%.

Newduckmommy1221 likes this.
  5. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Open the vents and leave them open. You probably want to remove any water you have in there also.

Check out the link in my signature below, in red.

oregonkat and Newduckmommy1221 like this.
  6. Newduckmommy1221

Sep 25, 2018
    Ontario, Canada
    Okay thanks, now just confirming, I’m hatching runner ducks, not chicks I do g know if that makes any difference. Today will be day 3 so I have opened both vents to let the humidity out. The temp is still at 99.5 it’s just the humidity that’s fluctuating. Do you think because the humidity has been between 55% to 65% for the first 48h it would have damaged the embryo already?

WVduckchick likes this.
  7. Newduckmommy1221

Sep 25, 2018
    Ontario, Canada
    Where is the link? I can’t find it!

8. 2 many chickens

2 many chickens Songster

Jan 14, 2017
    When I hatched my Pekin/Runners I used the same humidity I said above (no higher than 40%) and had great hatch results.
    I don't think any damage has been done since you're still very early in. I think they'll be just fine If you fix it now.

WVduckchick likes this.
  9. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Nah, a few days won't hurt them. Humidity isn't really a set number, lots of factors to consider, as you'll see in the article

If on mobile, you usually have to turn your phone sideways to see folks signature lines. But here it is >> https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/incubation-humidity.73386/

oregonkat and Newduckmommy1221 like this.
  10. Newduckmommy1221

Sep 25, 2018
    Ontario, Canada
    This makes me feel so much better! I’ve oprned both air vents and humidity is slowly lowering, it’s at 61% right now. I also oprned the bottom #1 filling hole and placed a rolled up paper towel to soak up some water? Do you recommend any other way to remove water or reduce humidity without opening up incubator?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: